The product recall thread

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

David Paleg

The product recall thread

Post by David Paleg »

salmon-ella (My brother came up with that one)

Company recalls more than 8,000 packages of smoked salmon
From Greg Morrison, CNN
August 27, 2011 2:48 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- Vita Food Products says it is recalling more than 8,000 packages of its smoked salmon because the product may be contaminated.

The recall affects the Vita Classic Premium Sliced Smoked Atlantic Nova Salmon.

The Chicago-based company says 8,088 packages could be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, which can cause fatal infections to people with weakened immune systems, children and the elderly.

"To date, no confirmed illnesses or complaints have been reported by customers, although the company is closely monitoring the situation," the company said in a statement Friday.

The company says the salmon was sold throughout the country.

Grocery stores that received the salmon include Publix in Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama and Florida.

The salmon was also sold to Safeway stores in Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Colorado, Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, the District of Columbia and California.

Genuardi's stores in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and Winn Dixie stores in Florida also got the salmon.
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
just saying

Re: The product recall thread

Post by just saying »

Good thing I don't do fish. Cooked or otherwise.
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Sony LCD TV Recall
Updated: 10/12 9:59 pm

SAN ANTONIO - Sony is recalling 1.6 million Bravia flat-panel televisions because of a defect that poses a fire hazard. The worldwide recall involves LCD televisions sold since 2007. Sony says a faulty component may cause them to melt or catch fire. Eleven incidents of overheating have been reported in Japan since 2008.

The models subject to the recall are the Bravia KDL-40X5000, KDL-40X5050, KDL-40W5000, KDL-40V5000 and KDL-40V3000.

The defective part — an inverter transformer used for LCD backlights — is also used in models sold overseas. But Sony says it has not received reports of similar problems.

The company will release local recall information for customers in each affected market.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Torn corneas, vision problems follow 'stealth recall' of contact lenses
By JoNel Aleccia

Amid growing reports of eye problems ranging from blurry vision to torn corneas, federal health officials are threatening to issue a public warning about recalled contact lenses manufactured by CooperVision Inc. and sold widely at stores such as Costco, Wal-Mart and LensCrafters.

The Fairport, N.Y., firm has yet to heed a request from the federal Food and Drug Administration to broaden notification of problems with certain lots of its Avaira Toric contact lenses, which were recalled quietly in August because of unidentified “residue.” On Tuesday, CooperVision officials said the recall affected about 600,000 contact lenses, or 10 percent of those sold or issued as samples in the United States.

“Absent prompt and adequate communication by CooperVision, the FDA may independently share its concerns about Avaira Toric contact lenses,” FDA spokeswoman Morgan Liscinsky said in an e-mail.

But for at least a dozen consumers who indicated to msnbc.com they have suffered impaired vision, excruciating pain or landed in emergency rooms after wearing the contacts launched in April and recalled in August, such notice is long overdue.

“It is very frustrating that they’re not more vocal about it and that the FDA hasn’t warned more people,” said Mellisa Cotton, 40, of Atlanta, who said she suffered two corneal abrasions this summer after wearing Avaira Toric contact lenses.

“Next to labor, a corneal abrasion is one of the most painful things you can have," said the mother of two.

Dan O’Neil, 0, of Hampton, Va., said his 15-year-old daughter, Erin, had to be rushed to the local ER on Aug. 21 after using Avaira Toric contact lenses from a newly opened box from Wal-Mart.

"I noticed what first looked like a torn piece of contact on her eye," he said. "Upon closer examination, I realized that what I was seeing was Erin's cornea torn and rolled back."

Doctors confirmed a severe tear and the girl was treated with pain medication and antibiotics. Only after she was injured did O'Neil and his wife learn of the recall.

"The ophthalmologist didn't even seem to be aware of it," he said, adding later. “Any time your kid’s vision is affected, you’re going to worry.”

CooperVision Inc. officials issued a voluntary U.S. recall on Aug. 19 of what the company called “a limited number of lots” in the U.S. market. On Aug. 25, the company notified the FDA of the recall, officials said.

CooperVision officials said they initiated the recall after investigating a “small number of unexpected wearer reports of hazy vision and discomfort.”

A notice posted on the company’s website includes a fill-in box where customers can check to see if their lots are affected. However, it does not include a list of retailers or a complete list of affected lots.

Major retailers said they notified their customers quickly about the Avaira Toric recall. About 2,600 Costco customers who bought the lenses were notified on or soon after Aug. 19, said Craig Wilson, vice president for food safety and quality assurance. Wal-Mart notified its optical departments on Aug. 24, said spokeswoman Dianna Gee. A LensCrafters spokeswoman who didn’t want to give her name said the company notified customers immediately through its retail stores.

Those moves, however, followed wider international notification of the defective lenses, including recalls issued in Hong Kong, Australia and in Spain, where the public notice included a list of more than 200 affected lots of lenses. The Hong Kong notice indicates that Avaira Toric lenses were also recalled in Canada, Germany, and Italy.

But the company has yet to issue wider notification in the U.S. that the FDA has the authority to seek, but not demand. “We are requesting that the firm issue a broader statement to ensure that users are aware of the recall,” Liscinsky, the FDA spokeswoman, wrote in an e-mail.

CooperVision officials, did not respond to msnbc.com questions about why they had not complied with the FDA request. In a statement, a firm spokeswoman said that the company “has fully cooperated with the FDA and continues to closely monitor the situation and seek advice from FDA during this process." The company's stock, traded as COO, fell on Tuesday.
Critics say that CooperVision has downplayed the recall of hundreds of lots of contact lenses in the United States, exposing vulnerable consumers to ongoing injury.

Phyllis Entis, author of the blog eFoodAlert, which tracks public safety recalls, has been following the Avaira Toric situation since August, documenting what she said “can only be described as a stealth recall.”

The blog includes reports from several consumers who have reported injuries and other problems with Avaira Toric contact lenses from August through October.

They include Deirdre Shapiro, 43, of Villanova, Pa., who said she suffered hazy vision and a scratched cornea that "felt like someone was in there with a sharp instrument stabbing my eye."

She wore the contacts for months, until September, when her doctor finally notified her of the recall.

"Literally, my whole summer, I thought I was going crazy," she said. "I wish I'd known. I would never have put this thing near my eye."
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Kotex tampons recalled over bacterial contamination
Nov. 14, 2011 05:29 PM
azcentral.com

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a recall warning for Kotex tampons, according to an announcement by Kimberly-Clark.

The recall warning is targeting certain lots of tampons that could be contaminated with a bacterium that could cause vaginal infections and other health risks.

According to Kimberly-Clark, this recall is limited to two product SKUs (carton codes), 15063 (18 count) and 15068 (36 count). The tampons were manufactured with a raw material contaminated with a bacterium, Enterobacter sakazakii, which may cause health risks, including vaginal infections, urinary tract infections (UTIs), pelvic inflammatory disease or infections that can be life-threatening.

Women with serious existing illnesses, cancer or immune-compromised conditions, such as HIV, are at increased risk. There is limited evidence of transfer between individuals with this bacterium.

The impacted product includes both 18-count and 36-count packages of the Kotex Natural Balance* Security® Unscented Tampons Regular Absorbency that were shipped to retail customers between October 29, 2011 and November 2, 2011 in specific Walmart stores in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico and Texas; specific Fry's stores in Arizona; and specific Smith's stores in Utah and Arizona.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/business/consu ... z1dpYGhJmV
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

Oh great... now the Product Recall Thread. The guy needs a new hobby. :roll:
"I know I've got a lot against me: I'm White, I'm Protestant, I'm hard working. Don't you have an Amendment to protect me"? Archie Bunker
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Smucker's Recalls Natural Peanut Butter
Jars Sold In The Last Week Or So Could Contain Possible Salmonella Contamination

POSTED: 10:50 am CST November 17, 2011
UPDATED: 3:45 pm CST November 17, 2011

The J.M. Smucker Company announced Thursday that it is voluntarily recalling certain 16-ounce jars of peanut butter over concerns about salmonella contamination. "No illnesses related to this issue have been reported and the product is being recalled out of an abundance of caution for consumer safety," according to a company press release. They say go on to say that the "recall was initiated as the result of a routine sampling program by the company, which revealed that these finished products may contain the bacteria."

Smucker's is specifically recalling 16-ounce jars of "Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter Chunky," sold between November 8 and 17. None of the company's other products are being recalled at this time.

The peanut butter was distributed in District of Columbia and the following 24 states: Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin.

The company says the affected products also contain the following information:

UPC: 5150001701 (located on the side of the jar's label below the bar code)

Production Codes: 1307004 and 1308004

Best-If-Used-By dates: August 3, 2012 and August 4, 2012

If you have a peanut butter included in this recall, the company recommends discarding the jar immediately, and calling Smucker's at 1-888-550-9555 for a replacement coupon.

In 2009, a Salmonella outbreak linked to a Georgia peanut factory caused close to 700 illnesses and nine deaths. The source of the contamination was traced back to poor sanitary conditions at a single processing plant in Georgia. All told, more than 3,900 products were recalled.

Salmonella can cause diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps in infected patients; often starting within one to three days after eating contaminated products. Most patients with Salmonella will recover fully, but elderly patients, small children and people with compromised immune systems may require extensive hospitalization and treatment.
genlock

Post by genlock »

This is a JIF house.

I am safe.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Company Recalls Ground Beef Over E. Coli Concern
Dec 16, 2011 9:59 PM EST

A Nebraska meatpacker recalled more than 40,000 pounds of ground beef products distributed in 16 states after a test confirmed the presence of E. coli, the Agriculture Department said Friday.

The products were shipped to institutions and distributors in Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Tyson Fresh Meats Inc. of Dakota City, Neb., recalled 10-pound chubs of chuck fine ground beef 80/20, packed in cases containing eight chubs.

USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service said in a statement that the problem was discovered through routine monitoring that confirmed a positive result for E. coli. No reports of illness have been received.

E. coli is a bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration and, in the most severe cases, kidney failure. The very young, the elderly and those with weak immune systems are the most susceptible.

FSIS advises all consumers to safely prepare raw meat products, including fresh and frozen, and only consume ground beef that has been cooked to a temperature of 160 degrees.

The USDA referred consumer questions to the company at 866-328-3156.
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Tuna linked to salmonella outbreak in 20 states
By WILL LESTER

WASHINGTON (AP) — A yellowfin tuna product used to make dishes like sushi and sashimi sold at restaurants and grocery stores has been linked with an outbreak of salmonella that has sickened more than 100 people in 20 states and the District of Columbia, federal health authorities said Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration said 116 illnesses have been reported, including 12 people who have been hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.

Moon Marine USA Corp. of Cupertino, Calif., also known as MMI, is voluntarily recalling 58,828 pounds of frozen raw yellowfin tuna. It was labeled as Nakaochi Scrape AA or AAA when it was sold to grocery stores and restaurants and is scraped off the fish bones and looks like a ground product.

The product is not available for sale to individual consumers but may have been used to make sushi, sashimi, ceviche and similar dishes available in restaurants and grocery stores. Many of the people who became ill reported eating raw tuna in sushi as "spicy tuna," the FDA said.

Reports of the foodborne illness caused by salmonella bareilly have mainly come from the Eastern Seaboard and South, though cases have been reported as far west as Missouri and Texas.

As of Friday, illness had been reported these states and the District of Columbia: Alabama (2), Arkansas (1), Connecticut (5), District of Columbia (2), Florida (1), As Georgia (5), Illinois (10), Louisiana (2), Maryland (11), Massachusetts (8), Mississippi (1), Missouri (2), New Jersey (7), New York (24), North Carolina (2), Pennsylvania (5), Rhode Island (5), South Carolina (3), Texas (3), Virginia (5), and Wisconsin (12).

The memo notes there is likely a 30-day lag time between when people become sick and when cases are reported to health officials.

The raw yellowfin tuna product may have passed through several distributors before reaching the restaurant and grocery market and may not be clearly labeled.

Previous outbreaks of salmonella bareilly have been linked to bean sprouts, which are grown in warm, damp conditions.

The most common symptoms of salmonella are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever within eight to 72 hours of eating the contaminated food. The illness can be severe or even life-threatening for infants, older people, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems.

The FDA recommended that people be cautious about eating raw seafood, inquire about the source and "when in doubt, don't eat it."
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

Dole recalls bagged salads for possible salmonella risk

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/16/do ... ella-risk/

Dole Food Co.'s fresh vegetables division is recalling 756 cases of bagged salad, because they could be contaminated with salmonella.

The bags of Seven Lettuces salads were distributed in Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia and Wisconsin.

The company said the bags are being recalled, because a random sample tested by the State of New York came back positive for Salmonella. No other Dole salads are included in the recall.

The recalled salads are stamped with a use-by date of April 11, 2012, UPC code 71430 01057 and product codes 0577N089112A and 0577N089112B, the company said.

The product code and use-by date are located in the upper right-hand corner of the package, while the UPC code is on the back of the package, below the barcode.

Dole said that it's coordinating with regulatory officials and that no illnesses have been reported.

Consumers should throw out the recalled salads. Dole said it's also contacting retailers to make sure the bags in question are not available for sale.

The most common symptoms of salmonella are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever within eight to 72 hours of eating the contaminated food. The illness can be severe or even life-threatening for infants, older people, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Arnold, Brownberry, Earthgrains, Farm, Harmons, L'Oven Fresh, Stroehmann, and Sara Lee Multi-Grain Breads and Sara Lee Thin Style Buns

Date: February 20, 2013
Category: Food
Company/Brand: Bimbo Bakeries USA, Inc.

The Danger: BBU, Inc., the parent of the Bimbo Bakeries companies, has initiated a voluntary recall due to possible presence of flexible wire caused by a faulty screen at a third party flour mill.

Description: Recalled products are listed below with the applicable "Best By" dates and their states of distribution. The "Best By" date is printed on the front of the bag on the bread items and on a sticker on the thin style buns product.

Best By dates prior to and including Feb. 17:
Sara Lee Multi-Grain Thin Style Buns
CA

Best By dates prior to and including Feb. 20:
Aldi L'Oven Fresh Hearty 12 Grain
AR, CT, DC, IL, IA, KS, MD, MA, MN, MO, NE, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OK, PA, RI, SC, TX, VA, VT, WI, WV

Farm Bread All Natural Multi-Grain
UT

Harmons 100% Multi-Grain Wide Pan Oven-Baked Bread
UT

Arnold Dutch Country 100% Whole Grain
AL, FL, GA, KY, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA, WV

Arnold Healthfull 45 Calories Per Slice Multigrain
DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV

Brownberry Healthfull 45 Calories Per Slice Multigrain
IA, IL, IN, KY, MI, MN, MO, ND, OH, PA, SD, WI, WV

Brownberry Dutch Country 100% Whole Grain

Brownberry Grains & More Double Protein
IA, IL, IN, KY, MI, MN, MO, OH, PA, ND. SD, WI, WV

Brownberry Healthfull Nutty Grain

Stroehmann Dutch Country 100% Whole Grain
DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV

Earthgrains 12 Grain Natural Bread
ALL STATES

Sara Lee 12 Grain Bread Hearty & Delicious
ALL STATES

What To Do: Consumers who have purchased the recalled product can return the product to its place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-800-984-0989 at any time 24 hours a day.

For More Information: fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm340245.htm