H/D's List: 123 songs that should still be played ...

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Scott Reppert

Re: H/D's List: 123 songs that should still be played ...

Post by Scott Reppert »

The Walker Bros. and Senator Bobby...both top notch.

I refer to Nazareth's pre-A&M career for my favorite rendering of "Morning Dew", though...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Scott Reppert wrote:I refer to Nazareth's pre-A&M career for my favorite rendering of "Morning Dew", though...
There are at least six different artists or groups that did their own version of Morning Dew, and yet most people have never heard of the song ...

:?

P.S. The Lulu version is my favorite, followed by the one by Tim Rose.
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Look! I dug up some more GREAT oldies!!!

VARIOUS | RANDOM | FORGOTTEN | AWESOME

BABY BABY - Arthur Alexander (1963)

UNTIE ME - The Tams (1962)

TIN SOLDIER - Small Faces (1967)

1-2-3 - Len Barry (1966)

TRY IT - The Standells (1967)

CAN'T TURN YOU LOOSE - Otis Redding (1966)

WILD THING - Fancy (1974) * Cover of the 60s classic by The Troggs

THE WANDERER (HENRY KISSINGER) - Foreign Intrigue (1976)

Until next time ...

:wink: :D 8)
jag

Post by jag »

H/D, this has, indeed, been a delightful thread. Educational, provocative, funny--excellent stuff, in short. One question, though: How did Al Wilson's "The Snake" land in your "novelty" tunes classification? What am I missing, there?

(BTW: Does anybody else remember "Twine Time" by Alvin Cash and the Registers or "Funky Nassau" by the Beginning of the End?)
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

jag wrote:H/D, this has, indeed, been a delightful thread. Educational, provocative, funny--excellent stuff, in short. One question, though: How did Al Wilson's "The Snake" land in your "novelty" tunes classification? What am I missing ...
Nothing! The only reason I put The Snake in the Novelty category is because that's how the two radio stations that I worked for that played the song classified it. I'll admit The Snake is a mainstream selection, sort of like Bridget the Midget, She Taught Me To Yodel, and just about any Harry Chapin tune. The other end of the spectrum might include stuff like Boobs a Lot and Mr. Frump and his Iron Lung, two most excellent staples of the Doctor Demento Show. It's all good. We can move The Snake to the standard oldies bin if you'd like ... :wink:

And thanks for the kind words! I have REALLY enjoyed creating and adding to this thread!!!

:D :D :D

OK ... I brought it up ... now you KNOW you just gotta hear it ...

MR. FRUMP AND HIS IRON LUNG - Wierd Al Yankovic (1978) * INTRO BY DOCTOR DEMENTO

:lol: :) 8)
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

jag wrote:H/D, this has, indeed, been a delightful thread. Educational, provocative, funny--excellent stuff, in short. One question, though: How did Al Wilson's "The Snake" land in your "novelty" tunes classification? What am I missing, there?

(BTW: Does anybody else remember "Twine Time" by Alvin Cash and the Registers or "Funky Nassau" by the Beginning of the End?)
WRSG used to play "Funky Nassau" when we were running Tunetracker. We'll have to get it for Simian.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

For Leap Year ... or for March 1st ... whichever you want ...

MORE from HD's grab bag of great old songs you just don't hear anymore!

THE WIND CRIES MARY - The Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)

RUMBLE - Link Wray (1958)

KILLER JOE - The Rocky Fellers (1963)

REMEMBER ME - Rita Pavone (1964)

BILLY, DON'T BE A HERO - Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods (1974)

LOVE REALLY HURTS WITHOUT YOU - Billy Ocean (1977)

SOUND YOUR FUNKY HORN - K C & the Sunshine Band (1974)

OUT AND ABOUT - Tommy Boyce & Bobby Hart (1967)

LOOK OUT, HERE COMES TOMORROW - The Monkees (1967)

... and the hits just keep on coming!

8)
Greg Goodfellow

Thanks, HD! Please make sure you and Scott keep crankin' 'em out!
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Spring Forward ...

And enjoy some great forgotten Power Tunes from the heyday of Top 40 radio!

SHAME SHAME - The Magic Lanterns (1968)

BLACK PEARL - The Checkmates (1969)

ONE TWO THREE AND I FELL - Tommy James & The Shondells (1968)

BRING A LITTLE LOVIN' - The Easybeats (1964)

LIFE IS A ROCK [BUT THE RADIO ROLLED ME] - Reunion (1974)

HALF PAST MIDNIGHT - The Stacattos (1967)
* This group changed their name to the Five Man Electrical Band in 1969. They are best known for their 1971 hit called 'Signs'.

WHAM BAM, THANK YOU MA'AM - Small Faces (1969)

GAMES PEOPLE PLAY - Joe South (1969)

ALL NIGHT LONG - Dave Clark Five (1966)

THE GROOVIEST GIRL IN THE WORLD - The Fun and Games (1969)

Until next time ...

:wink:
Greg Goodfellow

Thank you! :D
~ Fred Allen ~

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Greg Goodfellow wrote:Thank you! :D
Ya' welcome!

:D
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

10 FOR '13
Something to fill your now-empty Christmas stocking ...

More forgotten songs that are simply too awesome not to hear again. :wink:

THE DANGLING CONVERSATION - Simon & Garfunkel (1966)

From the album Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, this is just Classic S&G. On most of their songs of this era, I always got the mental picture of some academically gifted grad student working on a semester-long research paper, staring out the window of the library and wondering why he was so unhappy. This is polar opposite from the pop and garage band and psychedelic rock of the era. It's like Harvard/Yale intellectual folk music.

IT'S ALL OVER NOW, BABY BLUE - Van Morrison & Them (1966)

Best cover ever of the Bob Dylan original (which is horrible). Another great version was done by Chocolate Watchband if you ever want to YouTube it.

TELL ME - The Rolling Stones (1964)

This is a live version from the Red Skelton Show. I think it gives you a better perspective of that group back in their day. Now they're all 70 years old ...

CRY TO ME - Solomon Burke (1962)

Solomon Burke's top selling record, an ode to loneliness and desire. "Cry To Me" was heralded as one of the first songs to unify country, gospel and R&B in one package, a musical combination now considered to be the paradigm for Southern soul ballads.

DRIP DROP - Dion (1963)

Dion DiMucci just rocks this old Drifters hit. Another example where the cover is much better than the original.

LETTER FROM SHERRY - Dale Ward (1963)

Some fading doo-wop overtones in this teen crooner tune. For some reason, this song sounds like it should have been released in 1959 or 1960 ...

OUT OF TIME - Chris Farlowe (1966)

Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds blew the roof off of Top 40 music in England and most of Europe but neither he or this song, originally written and performed by The Rolling Stones, gained any traction in the United States. What a shame. What a great tune.

STAY A WHILE - Dusty Springfield (1964)

Close your eyes and listen and you'll swear this is a Phil Spector song by The Ronettes or one of his other studio groups. Not so. This is genuine Dusty doing a tune composed by Ivor Raymonde and produced by Johnny Franz using Spector's production techniques. Raymonde's arrangement is unmistakable with its relentless ticker-ticker beat and cascading drum rolls, full-on choirs, and Tower of Power horn section pitched against soaring rock strings. It set the production standard for Springfield's later hits.

ALMOST SUMMER - Celebration, featuring Mike Love (1978)

This is a one-hit wonder if there ever was one. Mike Love from the Beach Boys and a band called Celebration. Hey, they charted at #28 on Casey Kasum's American Top 40 in June 1978 ...

LOVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF TOWN - Southside Johnny & the Asbury Dukes (1977)

Another song you hear and just say "WOW! What a great song!!" This one never even broke the Top 20. SSJ always reminded me of early Bruce Springsteen.

Best wishes for a Happy and Prosperous 2013!

8)
Greg Goodfellow

Once again, THANK YOU, Hoosier! Which reminds me...

To EACH and EVERY ONE of YOU that has shared your expertise, your humor, and your willingness to discuss the medium we all love, and the one to which you have dedicated your lives, THANK YOU as well! To Lastone, who has worked so very hard producing your shows, I am eternally grateful. To Dr. Yeti, who provides most of our Saturday night lineup (which I'm really enjoying right now), I so appreciate you, too!

Greg
~ Fred Allen ~

Greg Goodfellow

From October 2011: Scott Reppart's answer

jag wrote:
OK, so how do we get these tunes--and others of their ilk--played on the air, instead of the exasperatingly, if not excruciatingly, overplayed, over-rotated platitudes that currently pass for oldies radio?

Well, something tells me that the "creative minds" that ran stations like the initial incarnation of WOBG or the last incarnation of Magic 101 have had their voices silenced in this area at least as far as whole stations playing oldies that are not fed via satellite from a corporate office somewhere where "1432 Franklin Pike Circle" was not a hit. I think the best you could hope for is one of the more "extreme oldies" or "deep cuts" channels on XM/Sirius to be your answer. But as for locally? I think the best you could hope for would be one of the "pre-programmed" oldies stations to allow someone to go in for three hours one night a week and do a "live" show where they played all kinds of stuff like this.

As I have stated before: a high percentage of the two million girls that bought "Heartbeat (It's A Love Beat)" when it first came out are still around with a radio at their disposal, somebody just has to be smart enough to play the song to get them to listen. Heck, there's probably a guy in Sutton that gave up listening to Oldies radio because he didn't hear "Mongoose" played anymore...

IF Santa gave anyone the tools needed to record such a show, I'd put it on in a "Heartbeat (It's A Love Beat)" We do have a guy on Saturday mornings, Frank Allan in New York City that provides a four-hour show for us. He plays a lot of music I've never heard, and he does a great job!
~ Fred Allen ~