Calling Capt. Obvious

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

cgarison

Calling Capt. Obvious

Post by cgarison »

I would like to offer this study as a point where "country boy logic" collides with university research. It produced some really nice maps around farming in KY vs. the slope of the terrain, number of water ways, and amount of crop vs. pasture land.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Ad ... ne.0030532

This scientific study identifies hotspots in KY for the likelihood of a tractor to overturn. The highest risk area includes the following counties:
* Carroll
* Gallitan
* Boone
* Grant

Other Counties of risk include:
* Boyd
* Greenup
* Carter
* Lewis
* Rowan
* Elliot
* Lawrence
* Morgan
* Johnson
* Martin
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
genlock

Re: Calling Capt. Obvious

Post by genlock »

The regression analysis found that the variation in the distribution of tractor overturns by county can be explained by average slope of pasture land and the percent of total tractors with less than 40 horsepower.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

WOW ..... I think I smell the stink of another worthless Federal Grant at work here.

I've really been lookin for THAT info ........ 8O 8O
"..... If you are not part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem........
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

Waveguide wrote:WOW ..... I think I smell the stink of another worthless Federal Grant at work here.
It was funded by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health), part of the CDC (Center for Disease Control). Sounds like it's part of a ongoing research program as opposed to a study specifically authorized at the Federal level.

Funding: This study was supported by CDC-NIOSH Cooperative Agreement No. U50/OHO7547 and U06/CCU412900, Southeast Center for Agricultural Health and Injury Prevention, University of Kentucky College of Public Health. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of CDC-NIOSH. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

I don't necessarily think this is a "stink" of a federal grant because there are many policy wonks that will not look at any evidence unless it is compiled and signed off by someone has some fancy initials after their name.

The part that is more shocking to me are a couple of statements in the article to encourage more "Roll Over Protection" to prevent these type incidents when the purpose of R.O.P. is to protect the operator and not prevent the accident. Not everything in the article is written this way (which is found in the second conclusion section where that author correctly seperated R.O.P. from prevention efforts.) I would assume that the person that compiled the abstract of the study was not as aware of the subject matter than the main author.

But it is still fun to think this is our tax dollars at work. My wife and I need to get our hands on some of the grants for these studies to make some extra dollars. She has the initials to sign off on my calculations and conclusions. :mrgreen: Looks like I can get Genlock and Waveguide a couple of more co-authors to help on the projects. :twisted:
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
genlock

Post by genlock »

No mention at all was made about the relation of blood alcohol to the accidents.
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

Waveguide wrote:WOW ..... I think I smell the stink of another worthless Federal Grant at work here.

cgarison wrote:
It was funded by NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health), part of the CDC (Center for Disease Control). Sounds like it's part of a ongoing research program as opposed to a study specifically authorized at the Federal level.

Funding: This study was supported by CDC-NIOSH Cooperative Agreement No. U50/OHO7547 and U06/CCU412900, Southeast Center for Agricultural Health and Injury Prevention, University of Kentucky College of Public Health. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of CDC-NIOSH. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.
The whole thing is just another waste of my money for bullshit like that report that my tax dollars paid for.

Lets see:
WTF
If ground has a 25 degree tilt, then don't run the damn 2 ton tractor sideways across it. Or up and down it.
WTF

Hay I want a $2 million dollar grant for all that research I just did.
With that money, I won't have to think about anything ever again, and just officially retire.
And I wouldn't collect SS. ( I'm a nice guy like that ...........)

Over thinking Federal Grants and getting money for it would be a fine thing to do. And get money too.
I think a brain-trust of Cgarison, Genlock, an me would by just great.
Lets get started!!!!!!!!!!!!
genlock

Post by genlock »

A lot of the tractors rotate over backwards around the axis of the rear wheels.
Trying to pull something too heavy and gunning the gas, I suppose.
A rops cage would help that (and some common sense ).
It sort of looked like an exercise in statistics, with a chance to use some analysis method that
nobody had used before. Maybe a senior project?
genlock

Post by genlock »

COWEN, Ky. (AP) - A farmer in northeastern Kentucky has died after being run over by his tractor.

Fleming County Sheriff Scotty Royse told The Ledger Independent (http://bit.ly/XMFTRn) that 73-year-old Ronald McCord appeared to have been ejected somehow from the tractor he was operating Monday before the vehicle ran over him on a steep hill on his farm in Cowen. He said McCord was moving bales of hay to feed cattle when the accident happened.

Royse said McCord's family found him after he didn't return home for lunch and didn't answer calls to his cellphone.
genlock

Post by genlock »

That area is pretty flat.
I wonder why he fell out of (off of) the tractor.
Dry county but next door to Bourbon County.

"The detection of high-risk local spatial clusters of tractor overturns was performed using Kulldorff's 2-dimensional spatial scan statistic."
Waveguide and Genlock would have used the "Colored Pins in a Map" technique.
Spatial Clusters, My ass!
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

I didn't see any mention of ground-hog control. When you're already on a hill, and a wheel suddenly pitches into a ground hog hole, the grade changes immediately to something that severely threatens the stability of the tractor.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Kulldorff's 2-dimensional spatial scan statistic omits alcohol and groundhogs from the survey.
Newton also left them out but it turned out ok.
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

WOW!!! ... All this extra over thinking,.... Bet this is worth another 8.5 million for the grant.

When do I get my part of the loot..........
genlock

Post by genlock »

Would a study like this score enough points to get a master's degree for some schmuck?