Huntington cable options

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Ace Purple

Huntington cable options

Post by Ace Purple »

I'm guessing the answer to this is: "You're stuck with Comcast."

But I do want to know, besides satellite TV (I miss DirecTV, but my apartment doesn't allow us to mount dishes), if there might be any other options. Verizon Fios isn't offered in West Virginia as per their site. AT&T Uverse doesn't appear to be available here, either.

I found an article online from 2011 that indicated that Huntington would re-bid the cable utility... but either that didn't happen or Comcast gobbled it up again.

I'm paying for the Cadillac of plans, but my DVR has an comically low amount of space and the HD channel selection is pathetic. Last weekend I stayed over in Proctorville with a girl I've been seeing and was amazed at how much more her cable company there offered, from HD programming to DVR space. And while I'm on a promotional rate now, the mailer that arrived with my bill yesterday indicates prices are going up left and right. Ugh. I don't want many of the channels I have, but that's the way it works with the tiered system.

Perhaps I can turn on the charm when lease renewal time rolls around, but I'm not exactly counting on being able to change their mind on the whole satellite dish thing. My only major beef with DirecTV is that they have their own version of the NFL Red Zone channel that you have to buy the NFL package to get and not the Scott Hanson version, which is the greatest thing going in sports IMO during NFL season. But that's a minor thing overall.

There's also part of me that wants to say "cut the cord", and I survived my Summer Without Cable 2012 remarkably well, but things like the NBA/NHL playoffs aren't the easiest to maneuver without it.

Any thoughts/suggestions/hope?
Last edited by Ace Purple on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
cgarison

Re: Huntington cable options

Post by cgarison »

Thank your lucky stars and you are not stuck with Armstrong like the folks in some of the rural areas of the tri-state. Comcast has ridiculously out of date hardware and their is no plan for that to get better any time soon. I was thinking the other night looking at my Verizon cable boxes by Motorola and was wondering when the last major improvement in that technology took place? I know from what I have seen, their has been nothing new on the cable side of the business for the last 7 years which goes along with the roll out of HD TV.

Then again, I am some what of a TV luddite and still do not own a BluRay player. Although, I have a (spare parts) PC and a Roku box pluged into my TV to play content streamed or downloaded from the web.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Big Media

Re: Huntington cable options

Post by Big Media »

Yep, you're stuck with Comcast. Since Frontier acquired Verizon's WV "assets", it pretty much ruined any change of getting any kind of FTP service.