In LOGAN?!?

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

In LOGAN?!?

Post by Lester »

Wearing an NRA T-Shirt Leads to Criminal Charges for West Virginia Teen
A 14-year-old middle school student appears to be staging some sort of intriguing political protest in Logan, West Virginia, where he was recently charged with causing a disruption after wearing an NRA T-shirt to school.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national ... een/64422/
Dave Allen

Re: In LOGAN?!?

Post by Dave Allen »

Pretty big deal down here. I guess I was raised old school...when an adult tells you something you listen. My parents would have kicked my ass if I were in this kid's situation and would have handled like he did.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

My late father told me that he was once almost kicked out of school in Elkins because of his hair....it was too short.

He was about 14-15 when the U.S. entered World War II. Some of the boys went out and got 'GI' buzzcuts. The principal almost suspended him and the other boys but relented when the boys agreed to wear hats until their hair grew back out.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Heck, it's Logan. I figured the kid couldn't even SPELL NRA.
You certainly can't say it was the PC crowd giving the kid trouble in Logan.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Just some fanatic teacher or administrator wanting to throw their weight around.
I once took a loaded rifle to school. 5th grade. I was not the only one.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Has this reached Fox News yet? Sean Hannity would have a field day with this, if not Mike Huckabee.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Here is what happened. The kid wore an NRA shirt to school. The shirt had a picture of a gun on it which is a violation of school policy. Most of the staff overlooked it. A secretary pointed to the kid and asked him to turn his shirt inside out or change. He refused. A teacher asked him to. He refused in front a cafeteria full of kids. The principal told him to. He refused. A near riot broke out (I know...how much of a riot could there be with 5th thru 8th graders?) so the police were called in. The kid was taken to the police station on obstruction charges for becoming beligerent with the cops. All charges have been dropped and the kid is back in school. The kid's lawyer (who is a douchebag BTW) is now literally wanting to make a federal case out of this. You have a gun-nut dad who has this whole community up in arms (no pun intended) because some punk ass kid defied authority after clearly violating the school dress code. My parents would have knocked the hell out of me...not gotten a lawyer. That is all.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Dave, mind if I steal your account of the incident (going to anyway)? Probably going to talk about it on my show this week.
genlock

Post by genlock »

The kid was right.
BTW: All lawyers are douchebags.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Bob, PM me if you want to talk about it or need any other info. Gen..agreed all lawyers are douchebags but how is the kid right? Again, maybe I was raised differently, but right or wrong you don't disrespect your elders. Had that happened to me I would have first and foremost have gotten in trouble for being disrespectful toward an adult authority figure. Secondly, if my parents did have a problem with the way it was handled they would have asked for a meeting with the school and I would not have been invited to the meeting. I hate to sound all "these kids today..." but it pukes me that that our little darlings can do no wrong in a lot of parents eyes. He knew the rules and chose to break them. Suffer the consequences, kid...and welcome to life.
genlock

Post by genlock »

A kid in Charleston (GWHS) was threatened with a principal over the kid not liking an assembly subject.
He threatened to call the girl's college and tell them she was not a team player.
Wrong kid to threaten. She is going to wellsley college next year ( money and brains).
the principal is in hot water.

Back to logan. What out parents would have done to us is irrelevant today.
The situation was mis-handled from the get-go. I see that Wilma is hiding from the whole thing.
Arresting the child was the worst thing possible to do. Then the charges were dropped.
This kid could run for emperor of Logan Middle and win easily.
He bucked the authority system and won.
I wonder why they didn't take him to the office and call the parents?
Maybe because the secretary, then the teacher and then the principal all showed their authority (ass) to the students and failed.
As I understand it, there is no school policy over t-shirts with graphics of a gun.
The kid had worn the shirt all morning and there was no disruption till a secretary intervened.

Not a hundred yards away is a bronze statue of a ww1 doughboy, depicted with a hand grenade and a springfield rifle and bayonet.
It has been there for decades, and no one complained.

This might go away if the kid had not been arrested, but it's too late now.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

All good points, Gen, and as one of our guys said not one person in this whole situation..from the kid, to the school people, to the parents to the police did "the right thing". As it relates to the kid I'm still trying to figure out why a 15 year old is in the 8th grade, but that's just me. Supt. Wilma Zigmond is bascially a lame duck. Her contract is not being renewed and she is just waiting to exit (I think in June). As for the policy is it states that no "violent" images can be displayed. Is a gun a violent image? I guess it depends which way its pointed! LOL And as for the doughboy statue that you refer to...that isn't on school property. The Logan County Commission "owns" the rest of the island.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

The other point, one which I may be using on my show, is that kids in school don't have the same first amendment rights as adults. This has been repeatedly adjudicated for decades. If it's against school policy it's against school policy. Don't know enough about the case to know if arrest was warranted, but I tend to err on the side of the cops, unless of course it's me they're arresting.
Looks like they're trying to make this out to be a free speech thing, but kids in school don't get that.
genlock

Post by genlock »

I was in first thru 3rd grade with Wilma Jean (Workman).
She could teach Jay some things about English.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I have no problem with the shirt the kid was wearing. I have seen much worse at my kid's middle school. However, I do have a problem with his disobedience. He's another from that generation with a huge entitlement complex. He thinks he is entitled to be treated like a dignitary and is entitled to all the benefits bestowed a King just because he's a punk ass kid.

I also have a problem with these shit kickers lobbying for support. Whenever they are approached by any authority figure and asked to comply with any common courtesy, they start lobbying for support to any one who will listen for whatever cause they are feebly trying to represent. He was lobbying for support in the cafeteria, lobbying for support at the police station, and is still on TV lobbying for support. What he deserves is a one week suspension and a year's probation. If he pulls that shit again, he's out.

It should be perfectly legal to tase these punk kids who disrupt school and fail to listen to the faculty and staff.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Had an off-the-record conversation today with a teacher who was there when it happened. She pointed out (AGAIN) this was NOT about a shirt. The kid apparently when psycho and was yelling and screaming. The police were called because the situation was getting out of hand with the other kids. BTW as of now the principal of the school has received over 3000 death threats over this incident. Punk ass kid, indeed. Another reason for school uniforms.
genlock

Post by genlock »

3000 death threats over this kid?
Do not go deer hunting with the principal!
The kid must be a basketball player.

The school board punted the responsibility for the investigation.
They hired someone from out of town to take the heat.
Wilma jean must want to delay it till after her retirement.

If this was over the kids behavior, why was the t-shirt brought into the conflict?
I think only Willie Akers can solve this problem.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Charges were dropped today.
Apparently the city and county saw a no-win situation.
School board disappeared some time ago.
There even may be political fallout over this.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

This whole story should have ended a long time ago. The kid needed his ass whipped from day one. The "rally" you may have seen yesterday on the news was made up of people who for the most part aren't even from here. There were several letters to the editor about the story in the local paper last week..VERY FEW of which were written by locals. The attorney is a douchebag. I have known him for years. The school board office had to be locked down due to death threats, everyone from the police chief to the judge has gotten death threats, all because some smart ass kid with a bad haircut didn't do what an adult TOLD him to do. My parents would have whipped my ass.