Vanilla

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

genlock

Vanilla

Post by genlock »

"Natural aromas can be extracts from plants, fungi, and in some cases animals. The labelling provisions do not require that the kind of flavour is indicated, with the exception of coffee and quinine," Ulla Beckman Sundh at the agency said.

Vanilla flavour, it has been established, is not only derived from the vanilla bean. It can also come from conifer trees, or indeed from the anal passage of a beaver.

Beckman Sundh however questioned whether the beaver is likely to become a common a source of flavouring for baked goods, sweets, soft drinks and other items.

"As far as I know the beaver is not an animal which is bred, so supply is not that great," she said.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
genlock

Re: Vanilla

Post by genlock »

Nonplant vanilla flavoring

In the United States, castoreum, the exudate from the castor sacs of mature beavers, has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a food additive,[33] often referenced simply as a "natural flavoring" in the product's list of ingredients. It is commonly used in both food and beverages, especially as vanilla and raspberry flavoring.[34] It is also used to flavor some cigarettes and in perfume-making.
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

I'll probability, never, eat 'Nella Wafers, ever again ........... That's so gross .... :D :D 8O
I will eat most anything, but there's a line here.........
"..... If you are not part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem........
genlock

Post by genlock »

I have been wondering what research led to this finding?
It is nice to know what "Natural Flavoring" means tho.
weaver

Post by weaver »

Well, hey, if it's "natural" it must be good for you. :?