This is apparently a "Crawdad".

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

genlock

This is apparently a "Crawdad".

Post by genlock »

The Associated Press

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A West Virginia researcher has discovered a new crayfish species and named it after one of the families in the legendary Hatfield-McCoy feud.

Media outlets report that Zac Loughman chose the scientific name Cambarus hatfieldi for the new species. It also will be known as the Tug Valley crawfish.

Loughman is a West Liberty State University biologist. He says the reddish-orange crustacean is common on Mate Creek near Red Jacket, which is in the heart of Hatfield-McCoy country. It’s the third new crayfish species Loughman has discovered.

The latest discovery became official last month when the academic journal Zootaxa published a paper by Loughman and four colleagues describing and naming the new species.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Re: This is apparently a "Crawdad".

Post by Jay Nunley »

When I was a kid we always called them "lobster crawdads". Had I known it was an undiscovered species... well, I probably wouldn't have done anything, so kudos to Loughman. I wonder if he knows about the "black crawdads" you can find in and around the creek from Ragland to Chauncey (if the selenium and conductivity haven't killed them all). Almost no wildlife in Cow Creek these days. I haven't seen any minnows, chubs, crawdads, or water dogs (salamanders to you yankees) in years and it used to be chock full of them all. I don't know if mining killed them or the lack of raw sewage ran them off.