WV 511 road camera system

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

genlock

WV 511 road camera system

Post by genlock »

Anyone know how this works? I assume it is a company that does this nationwide, as their maps indicate.
The cameras are remotely controlled (pan,tilt,zoom, focus). They are in color but low resolution.
They seem to be fed back somewhere (maybe Charleston or maybe corporate home base) to an Internet server.
Sometimes the cameras are not available on their website. I don't know if this is because of overload or
they are excluding the feed for some reason. The WV DOT has built an entire Command Post for this
in Charleston to view 26 total cameras. This is in addition to the Police "Fusion" center and the EOC in the Capitol.
I would just like to know why I cannot access a camera when I want to. Is there a "backdoor" for the tv stations?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Big Media

Re: WV 511 road camera system

Post by Big Media »

I've never been able to get it to work, either. Oh sure, if it's sunny and 70, it works great. But if you want to see how traffic is flowing on snowy morning, forget it.