I need some math help here, chemistry too.

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

genlock

I need some math help here, chemistry too.

Post by genlock »

When the Prime Lilly, a massive cargo ship, set sail from Norfolk recently, its 80,000 tons of coal were destined for power plants and factories in South America. The 228,800 tons of carbon dioxide contained in that coal disappeared from America’s pollution ledger. -

Can anyone tell me how that is calculated?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
cgarison

Re: I need some math help here, chemistry too.

Post by cgarison »

I really hate idiots giving wrong environmental data to scare the Americans.

The Formula according to the EPA is 21.48 mmbtu/metric ton coal × 26.05 kg C/mmbtu × 44 kg CO2/12 kg C × X metric tons coal/railcar × 1 metric ton/1,000 kg = 186.50 metric tons CO2 where X is the number of metric tons to coal to convert.

The answer in the article is incorrect. According to the EPA's formula 80,000 short tons of coal would yield 164,135.9 short tons of CO2 assuming the ship was weighed in short tons and not metric tons.

The formula for the calculation is from http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-r ... /refs.html

Goodgawd, I am a total nerd.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Where would I go to see even one short ton of co2?
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

These guys helped us back when I worked for WV Pump and Supply.

http://www.sentryfireprotection.com/services.htm
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Seems like a massive pile of BS to me.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

genlock wrote:Seems like a massive pile of BS to me.
Yep. And cow farts (that are not properly flamed by the experts like those that used to work at the old Blatt's Dairy :twisted: ) are far more dangerous to the environment than the CO2 we spew into the air.

But the Global Warming/Climate Change BS allows politicians to create public fear which they can leverage to curb excess consumption of natural, non renewable resources. Without this factor of fear, many "liberal" Americans would waste more resources than your average conservative so this horse $hi+ is necessary. But for those of us that grew up in the country, we learned to recycle and re-use the stuff in our own homes. Many people think it is neat to take something and repurpose it for another use, but I grew up with this as a way of life.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

We have six percent of the world's population. Face it...very little of what we do will mean much when China, India and other developing countries are laughing at us because of our environmental regs, while buying as much coal as they wish, and burning it as they wish.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

And our local basic material & chemical industry goes overseas because of expensive electric here.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Tom Taggart wrote:And our local basic material & chemical industry goes overseas because of expensive electric here.
Not really. Coal and electricity are necessary to power chemical facilities, but these plants are not quickly headed over seas because they consume more natural gas as a base stock to produce carbon based plastics and use the waste to generate heat (which in turn is used in regeneration facilities) to produce electricity for consumption on the plant's premises. If you operate a company than needs injection molded plastic in the the United States, the cheapest producer for you is probably located in Hatfield, PA. The reason lies in the fact that the US has the cheapest and most abundant source of natural gas (at this time) with all the production that is coming from shale.