FCC NPRM - Proposal to Eliminate the Main Studio Rule

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

cgarison

FCC NPRM - Proposal to Eliminate the Main Studio Rule

Post by cgarison »

When I was in high school, we had a group discussion about the future of radio and the need for local delivery of information. I was indeed the outlier (and visionary considering this was 1990) in the fact that I supported the concept of delivery broadcasts to the people via the bird instead of local origination of the broadcasts. In fact, I made the point that you would still have a handful of dedicated sticks with local studios while a possible majority of the terrestrial broadcasts could originate from a central source and delivered to the population of the nation with no need to have a local studio.

27 years later, the FCC has finally caught up to my way of thinking.... https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attac ... 4620A1.pdf

Back to today's perspective... Could it be possible for this rule to be passed in time to prevent the looming bankruptcy of iHeartRadio? I am pretty sure this group would love to dump their studios in Bala Cynwyd, PA that serve the Philly area and beam in all the broadcast for the area from LA and NYC.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Tom Taggart

Re: FCC NPRM - Proposal to Eliminate the Main Studio Rule

Post by Tom Taggart »

I-Hurt won't be helped. Look for an eventual bankruptcy.
cgarison

Re: FCC NPRM - Proposal to Eliminate the Main Studio Rule

Post by cgarison »

Yep, iHeartRadio is toast. The fork has been stuck by the creditors who are done with the mucking around with the concepts of debt restructuring and want to force the bankruptcy to bring an end to the agony.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.