SS IPA in a Harris HT 5

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

engineer

SS IPA in a Harris HT 5

Post by engineer »

Anyone had any dealings with the IPA in a HT 5. I've got a unit running about 75% power. I have never had one of these solid state IPA units with any trouble. According to Harris it is not field repairable? It looks like a couple of push-pulls in parallel. I wonder why it would not be repairable in the field? The IPA normally runs at 30 v, 6.5 amps. It's running at 30 v, 4 amps now. If those are 100 watt FET's the low current would point to a failure on one side of the combine point. I would normally expect to see an increase in voltage with a drop in current, but the IPA power supply regulator is a strange board too. Any thoughts or comments are welcome. I will buy you a cup of coffee!
genlock

Post by genlock »

Transistors may have to be a matched set.
Send it back to Harris. They will send you a new board.
I have found them to be reasonable.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Another thing to check is the supply voltage from the IPA regulator (A3).
It is adjusted by a control on the auxiliary board (A2R2). The power to the IPA is highly-controlled. If anything doesn't look squirrely here, get Harris to do the IPA swap.
Speaking of IPA... make sure the mod of part 394-702-000 happened in this box. The original bridge rectifiers in this box were a bad batch.
engineer

Post by engineer »

Cameron wrote:Another thing to check is the supply voltage from the IPA regulator (A3).
It is adjusted by a control on the auxiliary board (A2R2). The power to the IPA is highly-controlled. If anything doesn't look squirrely here, get Harris to do the IPA swap.
Speaking of IPA... make sure the mod of part 394-702-000 happened in this box. The original bridge rectifiers in this box were a bad batch.
A2R2 does adjust the voltage and increases output. For our TPO, the IPA usually runs 30 v, 6.5 amps. It is running at 30 v, 4 amps. A2R2 is working, but no increase in current, only voltage. I'm aware of board A3, so I'm going to look at it on a scope. The IPA supply has one filter cap, I believe C1, which is a 100 v, 3300 or 33,000 uf. The transmitter is 16 years old, so I may change the filter cap in the IPA supply. From what Harris has told me the screen caps also have a history of causing problems. Thanks for the input.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

engineer wrote:
Cameron wrote:Another thing to check is the supply voltage from the IPA regulator (A3).
A2R2 does adjust the voltage and increases output. For our TPO, the IPA usually runs 30 v, 6.5 amps. It is running at 30 v, 4 amps. A2R2 is working, but no increase in current, only voltage. I'm aware of board A3, so I'm going to look at it on a scope. The IPA supply has one filter cap, I believe C1, which is a 100 v, 3300 or 33,000 uf. The transmitter is 16 years old, so I may change the filter cap in the IPA supply. From what Harris has told me the screen caps also have a history of causing problems. Thanks for the input.
If I'm looking at the same prints, C1 may have already been replaced once - Harris has it at 40V.