QEI that bad?

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

engineer

QEI that bad?

Post by engineer »

from another board:

Quote from: Kelly on Today at 09:05:16 am
Run away from QEI. They are horrible!! Especially their single-phase 10kW model. Poor design, poor construction, poor support, and awful performance, (can you say sync AM noise at -30db?) And their exciters!!?? Total junk.

-30? That is horrible. The old gates fm stuff could get -40 or 1%. In fact, in the early fm days the target for the total rf system was -40. With a very clean bias and screen supply I can get -58 sync and -55 async from Harris HT-5 and 10's. I measured an Armstrong solid state at < -60! I have tuned for group delay rather than noise performance and can tell you to stick with noise performance and stay on the resonance side.
The-Hammer

Post by The-Hammer »

I don't know about their broadcast transmitters, but WMUL purchased a Quicklink-II 2.4 GHz STL from them and it came from the factory mis-configured for low audio bandwidth (about 7.5khz mono).

We switched over in March when our old STL failed. We've been trying since then to get them to send us the configuration software. They have repeatedly promised to do so, but so far, no joy. I've called repeatedly and Cameron has called several times, each time with a promise that the software would be sent.

E-mails bounce because their email system has been down since March.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

"Is QEI that bad?"

In a word, yes.

Couple of years ago I persuaded the folks at Princeton (Star) to dump their QEI exciter. Instant improvement! Yes, exciters can color the sound.
genlock

Post by genlock »

QEI mod monitors are legendary. Bad.
Their web site barely works too.
engineer

Post by engineer »

Tom Taggart wrote:"Is QEI that bad?"

In a word, yes.

Couple of years ago I persuaded the folks at Princeton (Star) to dump their QEI exciter. Instant improvement! Yes, exciters can color the sound.
Star is the old WAEY 95.9. I was there when they hung new Jampro's and radomes in 1989. In fact, I began my career there in 1986. I learned tube rigs from the CSI FM they had and solid state from the MW-1. Nathan Hunt was the chief. WAEY later moved to East River mountain under the supervision of Jay Belt and company. I was gone by 1990 working in western PA, VA and MD. The last I heard they had a TPO of 400 watts and everyone was complaining about the weak signal. East river has way too much HAAT for a class A. They had great reception in a car, but very a weak signal in buildings. Where does time go? BTW, Henry Beam was the former station owner when Glen Clark was selling audio prism's from the trunk of his car. Every station in the area but one had them including WVVA TV 6. WKMY (now WKOY) had a barefoot 8100. Keith Bowman from WHAJ always had the best audio and could make the texar's sing!