Superadio

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Ace Purple

Superadio

Post by Ace Purple »

Tonight, when I returned from the gym, I discovered a package waiting on my front porch: an RCA Superadio. It cost about $50 to get it (including shipping) but so far I'm thrilled. Amazing reception, great sound quality, and in combo with my Pogo Radio MyWay (which has Line In record capability), I should be able to roll airchecks like crazy. The only downside is that it's in mono.

Anyway, if any of you look to buy a radio anytime soon, I suggest that you give it strong consideration.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Right now I'm getting 1030 WBZ/Boston coming through loud and clear. I should have bought one of these a long time ago...
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

got a link ??
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Unfortunately, IBOC is mooting even the Superadio's wonderful yet affordable abilities....

:(

FearPeddler wrote:got a link ??
You might want to check locally, first......I'm pretty sure I remember Wal~Marts carrying them at one time. $49.99 is a typical price, $39.99 is a good price, $34.99 is an outstanding price......
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I bought it for $40.69 (plus $12.59 shipping) here:

http://store.electrogalaxy.com/rcarp7887.html

You can probably find it cheaper, but they delivered it to me promptly and in perfect condition. Unlike how it's listed on the site, it's real name is Superadio III (RCA seems to have acquired the rights for it from GE.) There is info galore out there about it on the web. I've been able to pull in FM stations that look like they fall outside of even the fringe area on the radio-locator.com map. Any questions, let me know.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

You have a Radio MyWay? How do you like it?
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

so basically its a radio with a super powered antenna (correct that for me arp, i know i should be able to spell it :) ) ?? thats pretty cool
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

I got a Superadio in '96 when using the wide setting was useful. Several DC stations sounded AMAZING. Alas, most of the switches were wearing out/dirty/whaterver. Just as I was about to crack it open to replace them, a friend gave his newer, lightly used Superadio. Everything about it is less (build quality/tone/dial accuracy).

BTW Ace, the WTOP transition IDs I recorded were from the old Superadio.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

FearPeddler wrote:so basically its a radio with a super powered antenna (correct that for me arp, i know i should be able to spell it :) ) ?? thats pretty cool
Far larger than average ferrite-core antenna for AM.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Lester wrote:You have a Radio MyWay? How do you like it?
It's nice to have as a portable recording device. The antenna that comes with it is relatively ineffective though, and what's worse is that when you record from the radio, the reception instantly gets worse. I read on a website an explanation on why that happens, but I don't recall the details offhand.

It instantly became more valuable to me as a portable recording device once I figured out the Line In record capabilities. That plus the Superadio should be a nice combo.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Superadios work well and can generally stand up to being in remote kits as well. I also have a Grundig S350 that works well too, but its AM wideband setting doesn't sound quite as good as the Superadio does.

Of course IBAC makes it all worthless anyway, since wide mode will only get you the sideband hiss on top of the now telephone quality analog audio.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

A Superadio can go a year or more on one set of batteries, too.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I bought a Superadio back in 2000 at Ames for $39.

I still use it a lot. It's the best DX radio for the money you can buy.

It's so easy on batteries, I've had some leak before they went dead...
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

True on the batteries....I tend to get a couple of years out of a set using it an average of 30-45 minutes a day.

I've had some leak, as well, and, tending to get batteries (and other stuff) as soon as I spot a sale, I've had some "new" ones leaking a little before ever being used.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

I get slightly better reception from the Grundig S350 than the Superadio. I live on a hill overlooking Marietta & Williamstown and the Grundig does better on both AM and FM amidst ungodly interference. The Super is easier on batteries. Grundig's little $30 'Mini 300' is great for camping trips and such.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

So you can DX effectively even without connecting a massive external antenna? I have a wee $10 shortwave radio that I take up to my in-laws in Buckhannon every once in a while, it gets great AM - lots of New York and Boston stations. I'd love to see what something like a superradio could do if the $10 shot picks up well with a crappy telescopic...

$37.72 at DL Electronics

http://www.dl-electronics.com/store/ite ... =RCARP7887
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Remember, Spike, that the telescopic does nothing for AM, er, MW. There's a little ferrite rod wrapped with wire within the body of the radio for them thar freqs.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Really? How come there's a definite change in reception when I move it about? Is that maybe because of where my hand is?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Arp2 wrote:Unfortunately, IBOC is mooting even the Superadio's wonderful yet affordable abilities....

:(
By the end of summer, WBT 1110, KMOX 1120, and WRVA 1140 will all be running IBOC at night.

I'm anxious to see if that end of the dial becomes unlistenable, and how many complaints will come from within the home markets due to sideband buzz.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

The antenna is attach to the ferrite rod antenna coil. Capacitively coupling the coil to ground increases the effective wavelength of that antenna thereby increasing the gain. By touching the case you provide the connection for an approximately 2 meter high capacitor to ground.