"Minor" Changes

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Dave Loudin

"Minor" Changes

Post by Dave Loudin »

Catching up with the glut of proposals filed after COL changes were reclassified as minor changes.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Approved yersterday was WROG 102.9's move from Cumberland to Chambersburg, PA and downgrade to class A and related WANB 103.1's move from Waynesburg to Mount Pleasant, PA plus upgrade to B1. With the antenna to be located just east of town, WANB becomes a Uniontown local.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Accepted for filing is WEMM's application for 1200 kHz @ 22kW day, 8kW CH, and 9 watts night. All MX apps have been resolved, supposedly.
Dave Loudin

Auction 84 goodness

Post by Dave Loudin »

In the stacks of Auction 84 long-form applications hitting the CDBS is one for a new Class C "graveyarder" on 1450 (link) for Dunbar and environs. The plan is to triplex with WVTS and WBES.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Dave Loudin wrote:Accepted for filing is WEMM's application for 1200 kHz @ 22kW day, 8kW CH, and 9 watts night. All MX apps have been resolved, supposedly.
Does this mean 1470 goes away?

:?
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
genlock

Post by genlock »

I can't wait.
Waveguide

Post by Waveguide »

Think maybe Bob Nixon will finally stop rolling in his grave if or when 1470
actually goes away??? :twisted: :twisted:
"..... If you are not part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem........
genlock

Post by genlock »

Maybe the antenna system will finally be fixed.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

WHAW Weston's application for 25 kW has been granted.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Anyone know what the WHAW owner has planned? And what's the present format?
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:Anyone know what the owner has planned? And what's the present format?
According to 100000watts.com, WHAW is an oldies station, using the ABC "True Oldies" satellite feed.

http://www.whawradio.com
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:Anyone know what the WHAW owner has planned? And what's the present format?
25,000 watts by day. 49 watts by night. Ka-wow-zee!

This should definately increase the sale price. Prior to this FCC action, buysellradio.com had the station listed for sale at $289,000. It seems like way too much money to pay for a stand-alone AM station in a rural area with no measurable audience or Metro area coverage.

What do others think? Arp? Mr. Patrick? Mr. Taggart?

How much money should a station like WHAW-AM command in the real world?

:?
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

For what it's worth, Clear Channel just sold 730 WLTQ/Charleston, SC for $608,230 -- and that's a Top 100 market.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Dr. Whiplash wrote:Anyone know what the WHAW owner has planned? And what's the present format?

This should definately increase the sale price. Prior to this FCC action, buysellradio.com had the station listed for sale at $289,000. It seems like way too much money to pay for a stand-alone AM station in a rural area with no measurable audience or Metro area coverage.

What do others think? Arp?
Who, me? I never succeeded in buying stations, but those are long stories for.....well, probably not any time, really.

But I'll give an answer, anyway. :lol:

And it'll be a completely ridiculous -- yet worthy of pondering -- answer.

You've got a stand-alone AM station not in a metro, not in a big town, not in a prosperous area, not in a growing area, not in a heavy tourist area, and not with any of the programs that generally make AMs do well. Even with the improved signal, I wouldn't be terribly interested. But, if I were, I would shoot for about 90% of the value of the real estate owned plus 2/3 the median price of single-family homes in the area. Plus a little for speculation (you might be able to shut it down for somebody).

Oh...and not that it's (necessarily) about the real estate, but it could eventually get to that point.

A ridiculous way to price a radio station? Sure! But you're thinking about it, aren't you? Attaching numbers to it and thinking, "You know what? That might actually.......," aren't you? :D
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:I would shoot for about 90% of the value of the real estate owned plus 2/3 the median price of single-family homes in the area. Plus a little for speculation (you might be able to shut it down for somebody).
Now that makes sense. :)
A ridiculous way to price a radio station? Sure! But you're thinking about it, aren't you? Attaching numbers to it and thinking, "You know what? That might actually.......," aren't you? :D
For me, it's a lingering question Force Commander asked about "finding a non-rated AM station" to get into the radio station ownership ranks. I have no burning desire to move to Weston -- although wifey and I do like the Morgantown area and we're both "small town" people -- but that area is similar in size to where I live now and the station does have a few selling points (antenna and studio real estate owned by the seller, low dial position, and now a 25 kW daytime authorization).

Right now, I'm just testing the waters, kicking the tires, or whatever metaphor you care to use. I honestly have no idea on how to determine a radio station's value and worth. I know you need to examine the books closely and determine expenses and how much of a profit (or loss) the station has, and get a feel on the local advertising climate. If the station is underperforming, you'd need to identify why and then figure what it'll take to turn things around. Then do a reality check and see if its actually worth the trouble.

If I ever got to that point, I'd most certainly be more educated about the process of buying a radio station than I am now, I'd have my own finances and bank financing issues in order, and I'd have seasoned, professional help at my side once it got closer to taking a test drive and signing all those lawyer papers.

:lol:
MTocco

Post by MTocco »

Will this cover the Clarksburg, Fairmont, Morgantown market during power up? I bet it will... That market is in the top 200... according to several broker friends of ours, (and that does not include buysellradio), any station that covers a metro market is valued at 7 to 11 times its annual gross revenue. Serious buyes are mainly interested in a station's ability to capture revenue - particularly national ads - because they generally live far, far away and could care less about the city of license's population...and they could care less about anything after 7 PM since it's out of drive time... All they want to see is the books - and the equipment, and if they are savvy, when was the radial field last checked if it's AM... Most folks - i.e. John Q. Public - could care less where the transmittor is located when they are listening to something they want to hear... Now, if you've grown up or lived in WV most of your life like I have, (and that's over 53 years), West Virginians don't look at the world like the rest of America. West Virginians want to wheel and deal, and generally undervalue everything. Most West Virginians would think WHAW is over-priced. However, if it cover the metro area, and it generates even a modest $50K a year... well, you do the math. Then take a look at the ad dollars generated in this market this past year, along with the projected ad dollars to be spent over the next 5 years... WHAW could be the next small goldmine, and a stand alone has something conglomerates don't have -- the owner is the boss and king of the mountain. Of course -- the king o' the mountain had best know how to wear lots of hats -- business, engineering, public relations, not shy about going on the air, accounting, taxes, SALES, and how to be creative, to name a few.
He who laughs last, laughs loudest and longest.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

This is the contour plot from WHAW's application. What are the agencies looking for? 1/2 mV/m? That would be theoretically interesting in this case, but I don't see that kind of signal being competitive in Morgantown. My guess is that you could easily sell this as a Clarksburg station and maybe a Fairmont station, too.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Agencies don't care about pretty circles on a map.

They only understand num3ers. Arbitron only gives you num3ers if you pay them off. Daytime AM stations don't get num3ers.

BTW/ .5 gets lost in the noise here in WV, those circles based on M3 conductivity, we only have that in the bigger river valleys. Real coverage area is inside the 5 mv/m contour. On a good day.

Also note that these folks have themselves an FM station, if they get it built, in Glenville. Class A CP on 107.7
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Thanks, Tom. It's been a while (oh, 20 years or so) since I paid close enough attention to reception conditions back home to link plots to the real world. I just knew for sure that there's no way you'd hear WHAW in Mo-town.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Tom Taggart wrote:Arbitron only gives you num3ers if you pay them off.
My Gawd, Mr. Taggert, that's a shocking accusation! What evidence could you or Johnny Wharff possibly provide to prove such prostitutional behavior on the part of that esteemed organization?