FCC proposing to alllow AM stations to use FM translators

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Dave Harman

Re: FCC proposing to alllow AM stations to use FM translators

Post by Dave Harman »

Hoosier Daddy wrote: No shit, Sherlock. Where have you been the last five years.
EDIT
We live in a rude, discourteous, profane, hotheaded society

[:
He was just trying to illustrate his sig line :)
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

lastone wrote:Is the FCC even necessary now days? Other than make money for the government, what purpose do they serve today?

I actually think they're a necessary evil.

What other government oversight do we have for making sure that broadcast stations keep their specs up? Also, assigning frequencies in a way that keeps interference to a minimum, and making sure that stations stay within their ERP.

Imagine the havoc if every FM station in NYC declared themselves Class Cs and started moving in these 100kw flamethrowing transmitters... Every station within 150 miles of the city would be adversely affected. And of course, they would retaliate, affecting even more stations, and so forth until the FM band everywhere would be unlistenable.

The same thing would happen on AM. WLW and WSM would be back to 500kw night in no time. In HD.

So, they do serve a purpose.

However, they have no business in the world of censorship. I believe that markets self regulate content. When content goes beyond what the market will tolerate, the offending station will suffer through lack of ratings and ad dollars, as well as be annoyed by constant complaint calls. There is no need for government intervention. If a station airs a show that offends you, the best way to get back at them is to not listen. If Arbitron comes calling, pretend they don't exist. Problem solved.

Fining stations for subjective content is a cheap shot. It's nothing more than an easy way to extort money from owners. Esp they way the rules are written now. I dare say that they are unconstitutional, and could not withstand a supreme court challenge.

Sorry about potentially opening a Pandora's box here, but I'm in long-form mode today...

:lol:
genlock

Post by genlock »

The FCC gets none of the money from fines. It all goes to the general fund.
lastone

Post by lastone »

The FCC gets none of the money from fines. It all goes to the general fund.
ZACKLY !!! It makes money for the government. It makes the most by selling the right to use the "public airwaves".

The money, at least some of it, should go for making technical standards (as they did in the past) and enforcement. But NO, it's let the market (I.E. the manufactures) decide and let the industry police its self.

I just read where a survey indicates declining interest in HDTV. Just wait til' the local viewers have to watch "freeze frame" and "cubes" when a bird sits on their antenna! Of coarse, who cares about 'B' coverage anymore....

Broadcasting was about making money thru quality. Now it's just about the money.

I should have been born in the 20's.
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Force Commander

Post by Force Commander »

The FCC it has been told more than once, has been mandated to fine as much as possible to help pay there way. Congress funds the FCC through general revenue, it stands to reason they would want fines to go back to the treasury.

I can tell you for sure there are inspectors that are not engineers who go station to station looking for EEO, tower lights, tower fence, and EAS violations (the most common violations), and nothing else. I know more than one station inspected in this way. The meter maids of the FCC!
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."