WTNJ's new TX location

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

AmpedNow

WTNJ's new TX location

Post by AmpedNow »

4.4 kw @ 1533 ft

Same location as WCIR

5 kw @ 1484 ft

That's quite the TX location...
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Hey, that takes in Mt. Gay

uuuhhuh.. said gay..and mount.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

How realistic are such plots in a mountainous state like WV? I've driven much of the ground shown, but I can't remember if usable signals were available everywhere inside those circles.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

It's dicey. Hit and miss.

I do know that WCIR comes in well in vehicles in Kanawha County, but no building penetration. A girl I know (woman, I guess since she is 31) listens to them regularly and bitches about not being able to hear it indoors.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

From a car radio's perspective, it's fairly accurate. I've heard WCIR well beyond the blue to the north. You can hear them good in the Huntington Mall parking lot, too. I assume WTNJ now has an almost identical footprint. For the most part, you could listen to them from Milton to Lewisburg on 64. On 77, from Flat Top to just past the Ripley exit.

Building penetration is shoddy, even in Beckley, but that's the tradeoff for low ERP. But in this terrain, it's pretty much the only choice there is if you want decent coverage without severe multipath.

I'm assuming that's why TNJ moved in the first place... Their previous location was beyond terrible.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

The family house in Sutton is just down the north side of a hill, so 'CIR has always been a difficult catch. I had far better luck getting 'VAQ.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Airwaves

Post by Airwaves »

True- When you get between Braxton & Lewis Counties you are in that weird area where you get either northern or southern WV radio totally dependent on where your hillside faces! Kinda a continental divide area! :wink: I hope Shane & Company at Southern are doing OK with this.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

When we moved to Sutton, the local cable co. carried ALL THREE WV PBS stations. They still have 9 and 24, even though there is 100% overlap.
The-Hammer

Post by The-Hammer »

Dave Loudin wrote:When we moved to Sutton, the local cable co. carried ALL THREE WV PBS stations. They still have 9 and 24, even though there is 100% overlap.
And I thought it was bad that out cable company carries PBY , PBO, and KAS. Even across three different states broadcasting systems, there's still about a 90% overlap in programming.
Anthony DiNozzo: "I'm a white male between the ages of 18 and 49 with a loud mouth and a gun. I am the American Dream."

"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it" - Ambrose's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Back in the late 70's there was some diversity in PBS station schedules. Then-WMUL-TV was the only source for Monty Python, for example.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Airwaves wrote:...in that weird area where you get either northern or southern WV radio totally dependent on where your hillside faces! Kinda a continental divide area!
Ever try DX'ing on Spruce Knob? Holy s#@t!

Non-radio camping pals thought I was the only geek crazy enough to spend days hiking around with a radio (Panasonic 2200, R.I.P.) but on one trip a sizeable group of hams and other assorted radio misfits from metro DC were staged at the observation deck parking lot. I spent the day with the RF-brain-damage crowd while my pals fished. I caught OH, PA, MD, WV, VA, KY and NC FMs. Only thing my feeshin' buddies caught was a buzz. :wink:
genlock

Post by genlock »

Must have been the Grid Pirates.
http://www.k8gp.net/
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

FM DXing up on hill tops and mountain tops in Upshur and Randolph Counties has always been a blast. There are many places where the stereo pilot would be detected on every frequency, and this was in the mid-70's.
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

When I go back home to see Mom and Dad in Buckhannon, I go on top of the hill (yes, that's what we call it) on the ridge @ Kesling Mill, and can hear dang near everything, from Parkersburg, Charleston, Wheeling, and at times WDGG in Ashland. My dad is now facinated by it, that Randy Johnson tweaked an old reciever for him, and we go home and DX.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

genlock wrote:Must have been the Grid Pirates.
http://www.k8gp.net/

Thanks, Genlock! I bet that was them. September '98, one old bus plus personal vehicles. I'm getting in touch with them.

For the record, I was wrong about DXing NC FM at Spruce Knob...wrong mountain.