Computer question for those smarter than me...

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Computer question for those smarter than me...

Post by The People's DJ »

I'm in the market for a new, hell even refurb, computer. But it looks like I'm going to be stuck with the junk Vista garbage of Microcrap. I got to know, will it run Cool Edit Pro? That the big question I've got. I know XP will run it with easy, but Microcrap won't let you downgrade to XP. So..am I looking at a headache or not?
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

"In response to OEM and customer feedback, Microsoft is extending the availability of all Microsoft® Windows® XP products preinstalled on new Direct OEM PCs from January 31, 2008 to June 30, 2008. "
http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=455

So if the manufacturer won't sell it to you that way, find someone who will.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

As long as we're in this vein,.....

I have a desktop that turns off its monitor on boot-up after that splash screen with the fake bar animation clears. What's it doing, and how do I get it to stop doing that?
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

IMO, I'd go ahead and get a vista box, but order you something like a hard drive from mwave or new egg , they sell copies of xp and vista dirt cheap if you buy hardware with it.. then just nuke the vista box and put sum fresh xp on it..
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Well here a question that I came up with last night. My laptop is running XP. There is software that lets you copy the entire hard drive of one laptop to another so you can make a external hard drive out of the old laptop drive. If I was to a new computer with Vista, couldn't I get this software, take the Vista hard drive out, reformat that SOB in friends desktop, use the software to copy my laptop hard drive to the new desktop hard drive?

The only hang-up with this plan would be getting XP drivers.

But I might go with FearPeddler idea.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

ok, so i've got this old emachine from 2001.....

nevermind
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Can I run Microshaft Office 2000 on my Commodore 64? Image
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

My computer has Vista, and I've run Cool Edit Pro on it without trouble.

But, with Vista, results may vary! :lol:
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Microcenter Columbus (well, chain-wide) has some refurbished IBM and Compaq computers at fairly decent prices.

All depends on what you need.

I bought 2 IBM desktops with XP-Pro for around $500.00. 1/2 gig ram, cd.

I'm using both of them for basic office machines for internet and word -processing (Word Perfect office suite--much cheaper than Office and WP is designed for people who can actually type).

They're just chugging along quite happily moving those 1's and 0's.
FrameSync

Re: Computer question for those smarter than me...

Post by FrameSync »

The People's DJ wrote:I'm in the market for a new, hell even refurb, computer. But it looks like I'm going to be stuck with the junk Vista garbage of Microcrap. I got to know, will it run Cool Edit Pro? That the big question I've got. I know XP will run it with easy, but Microcrap won't let you downgrade to XP. So..am I looking at a headache or not?
If you purchase a new computer chances are you'll get stuck with Vista. Vista, in my opinion isn't that great of an OS at this point. Perhaps after the service pack is officially released it may yield some better performance. I have XP Pro and will stick with it for as long as possible.

CEP will run on Vista. Like Ace said; Results may vary...

Yes, you're looking for a headache with vista at this point!
"The TV business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
FrameSync

Post by FrameSync »

Arp2 wrote:As long as we're in this vein,.....

I have a desktop that turns off its monitor on boot-up after that splash screen with the fake bar animation clears. What's it doing, and how do I get it to stop doing that?

Does the monitor stay off or does it come back on?
"The TV business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
FrameSync

Post by FrameSync »

The People's DJ wrote:Well here a question that I came up with last night. My laptop is running XP. There is software that lets you copy the entire hard drive of one laptop to another so you can make a external hard drive out of the old laptop drive. If I was to a new computer with Vista, couldn't I get this software, take the Vista hard drive out, reformat that SOB in friends desktop, use the software to copy my laptop hard drive to the new desktop hard drive?

The only hang-up with this plan would be getting XP drivers.

But I might go with FearPeddler idea.
Yes! And it's pretty simple. Chances are the desktop has a driver disk that you'll be able to pop in that will have both XP & Vista drivers for the specific harware.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

FrameSync wrote:

Assuming that 10 or 20 minutes is long enough to wait, it stays off.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Computer question for those smarter than me...

Post by Bob Loblaw »

The People's DJ wrote:I'm in the market for a new, hell even refurb, computer. But it looks like I'm going to be stuck with the junk Vista garbage of Microcrap. I got to know, will it run Cool Edit Pro? That the big question I've got. I know XP will run it with easy, but Microcrap won't let you downgrade to XP. So..am I looking at a headache or not?
TPDJ...really dumb question...CEP? Like the original? Not AA? Is it a legit copy? If so, you can upgrade to the new (Vista compatible) AA 3.0 for only $99.
FrameSync

Post by FrameSync »

Arp2 wrote:
FrameSync wrote:

Well thats definitly not right. Are you able to use it after that time or is that all the machine does at this point?
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Well..... I just totally trashed my mini-tower media center. It guess a 300 Watt power supply could not handle all the crap I stuffed into the case. :roll:
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

FrameSync wrote:
Arp2 wrote:
FrameSync wrote:Does the monitor stay off or does it come back on?
Well thats definitly not right. Are you able to use it after that time or is that all the machine does at this point?
It's just the monitor that's off.....the boot continues and finishes, and I'm then able to "remember" my way through the shutdown keystrokes and shut it down cleanly.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Arp2 wrote:
FrameSync wrote:
Arp2 wrote: Assuming that 10 or 20 minutes is long enough to wait, it stays off.
It's just the monitor that's off.....the boot continues and finishes, and I'm then able to "remember" my way through the shutdown keystrokes and shut it down cleanly.
Kind of a stupid question follows.

Did you exchange monitors with one known to be good?
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

No....it's fine as long as the computer is off and until it goes past that bar-at-the-bottom animation.
oldtvman2

Post by oldtvman2 »

I read in Smart Computing where Microsoft has received so many complaints that they will give to anyone that asks a copy of xp for their new computer. also you might check the power management on your computer and see what your computer is set to turn off your monitor? this might be just a function for laptops and not desktops. also you might check the seating of your video card. it could be lose in its socket causing a heating problem. good luck
REV. ED