FCC "is trying to move fast on it.â€

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Force Commander

FCC "is trying to move fast on it.â€

Post by Force Commander »

http://www.radioworld.com/pages/s.0100/t.8875.html

[quote]Translators for AMs Looks Doable

The concept of allowing AMs to use FM translators under certain conditions to fill in their nighttime service got an unofficial nod of approval from the FCC chairman last week.

NAB has lobbied for the proposal, saying that AM nighttime signal coverage is challenged by ever-increasing man-made noise.

If approved, AMs would be able to air programming on FM translators overnight. The 60 dBu contour of the translator could not extend beyond the 2 millivolt daytime contour of the station.

Asking FCC Chairman Kevin Martin about the issue at the Chairman’s Breakfast, NAB Radio Board Chair Russ Withers said he has an AM station that is licensed at 10 kW day and only 4 watts at night.

Martin said, “It’s a good thingâ€
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Oooo, so many things you could say.

Cross-service translators are just LPFMs under a different name. Why bother leaving the AM on? Nobody would ever tune back.

The bottom line is still the reduced capacity of the mediumwave spectrum. If a broadcaster cannot maintain an economically viable Nighttime Interference-Free service are that lies within the daytime 5 mV/m service area, then maybe that station should go dark. Additionally, the NIF should not end up in the double-digits mV/m unless the station is a Class C.

An example that drive me crazy is this one. The NIF is 44.6 mV/m!
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

The NAB "settled this" at the Chariman's breakfast. How sweet.

Dickheads.

:twisted:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Force Commander

Hey Hoosier,

Going back to an earlier thread between us, I wonder if once this is settled how to get the LPFM parties together and push for 1000 watts where it can fix and allow commercials on LPFM? The NAB once implemented will not have much leg to stand on to object.
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Force Commander

Dave Loudin wrote:Oooo, so many things you could say.

Cross-service translators are just LPFMs under a different name. Why bother leaving the AM on? Nobody would ever tune back.
That is true where the translator can be picked up. The AM will serve for range though as most of these only pick up around 10 miles or so going out.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Force Commander wrote:I wonder if once this is settled how to get the LPFM parties together and push for 1000 watts where it can fix and allow commercials on LPFM? The NAB once implemented will not have much leg to stand on to object.
I don't honestly think there IS an LPFM movement anymore. Most of the people who were so energetic about it six or seven years ago have given up in disgust. A simple group of American citizens simply can't play tit-for-tat with the well-connected lobbyists and bottomless bank account of the NAB.

LPFM will hang in there under current technical and operational standards for now, with stations quietly and anonymously dying one at a time. As the end approaches, the shell of holdouts will be nothing more than national religious programmers who affiliated with local churches to exploit the original LPFM ruling.

The FCC will grandfather these stations as translators, abolish the LPFM service and label it a failure, slap the NAB hucksters on the back and everyone will head off to the corner bar for a round of brewskis.

If the FCC really gave a damn, they would resolve the backlog of five year old LPFM applications and open the 10 watt LPFM window before EVER addressing the 'FM Translator for existing AM Stations' issue.

But its obvious who has the priority. As always.

I wish I could be more optomistic, but that's how I see it.

:evil:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Force Commander wrote:
Dave Loudin wrote:Oooo, so many things you could say.

That is true where the translator can be picked up. The AM will serve for range though as most of these only pick up around 10 miles or so going out.
This depends on why the translator's needed. If there is a null in coverage to be filled 24/7, then I can see this. However, if the translator is there to solve flea-power issues (like Withers' station), why not secure a full-power FM and take the AM dark?
Force Commander

I was really hoping the FCC would work toward fixing the translator issues with AM, LPFM, and the nonsense with Radio Ministry and Edgewater (2003 translator invasion) at the same time. After reading your post I as well am having doubts. I guess as always, it seems the FCC doesn't miss a good opportunity to miss a good opportunity
Force Commander

Dave Loudin wrote:[
This depends on why the translator's needed. If there is a null in coverage to be filled 24/7, then I can see this. However, if the translator is there to solve flea-power issues (like Withers' station), why not secure a full-power FM and take the AM dark?
Because the FCC won't allow it, and there is no room in the current band in any market above the 50th for sure and probably less than that due to FM congestion. That and everything new being placed on spectrum auction, it would be tough. I wish they would allow FM exchange for AM where possible. Back when they did the 80/90 docket the FCC should have move the class C and D stations first instead of new ones. Maybe next time lol.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Secure = purchase. I know there's no way to jam any more Class A and beyond frequencies in the spectrum en masse. Instead of screwing up everything else to support failed businesses, we should let Class D AMs fail.[/i]
Force Commander

Dave Loudin wrote:Secure = purchase. I know there's no way to jam any more Class A and beyond frequencies in the spectrum en masse. Instead of screwing up everything else to support failed businesses, we should let Class D AMs fail.[/i]
The way things are now you are correct. The only way this could happen is an expanded FM band much like they expanded the AM band a few years back. Otherwise no way.