Gorman Redlich Encoder/decoder problem

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

fmksey

Gorman Redlich Encoder/decoder problem

Post by fmksey »

Maybe someone else has has this problem. The clock gains up to a minute a day and the system will ignore national weather service warnings if we're off too many minutes. Any ideas how to keep the clock on the right time?

Thanks
genlock

Post by genlock »

What constitutes the clock's timebase?

BTW: I have never even seen one of these gorman units
and I think the current EAS system sucks.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

The Gormon-Redlich EAS units are made in a house in Athens, Ohio, right in the middle of Ohio University's off-campus student housing. In an attempt to blend in, the Gormon-Redlich folks taught the EAS encoder/decoder units to puff on a little Mary Jane while waiting for those emergency digital activation signals.

So they forget a few minutes here and there. Hey, nobody's perfect and anyway ... uh ... what were we talking about?

Damn, this EAS unit sure could use a bag of potato chips. And a pizza.

The company also offers a line of FM receivers that drink themselves into unconsciousness then vomit and shit everywhere. You should feel lucky you didn't buy a few of those ...

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

Why don't you just give Jim Gorman a call concerning your problem at 740-593-3150.
t
fmksey

Post by fmksey »

The Gormon-Redlich EAS units are made in a house in Athens, Ohio, right in the middle of Ohio University's off-campus student housing. In an attempt to blend in, the Gormon-Redlich folks taught the EAS encoder/decoder units to puff on a little Mary Jane while waiting for those emergency digital activation signals

The first unit I bought was a Holly Ann - that was a piece of shit. It was an
F- The G/R is a C-. If the damn clock would work right, it would be ok.
fmksey

Post by fmksey »

Why don't you just give Jim Gorman a call concerning your problem at 740-593-3150.

And have you ever talked with Jim? Rude - all knowing and you're an
idiot. I will call him as a last resort - if I have to, but what a butt. I'd much rather have someone coach me thru problems.
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

I've talked to him lots of times. Many times I have dropped off an EAS unit to him or a phase monitor and he has fixed the problem and even had a couple times he has dropped the repaired unit off at the station where it goes or we meet somewhere and I pick it up. Unlike TFT who wants almost $300 up front before they will even touch there EAS unit to fix it and take forever doing it, Jim does a quick turn around and I bet the bill is no where near as high. I like his EAS unit none of that junky built in printer that you are at the mercy of the manufacture and buying special paper.
t
genlock

Post by genlock »

contracteng wrote:Why don't you just give Jim Gorman a call concerning your problem at 740-593-3150.
What if you get Redlich on the phone instead?
engineer

Post by engineer »

I have met Jim a few times. Many moons ago he was at the SBE meeting (1994?) in Ripley? WV, just outside of Charleston. Jim is a smart guy. He does have a pet peeve about talking engineering with program directors or DJ’s that are trying to fix something. That’s my memory of Jim.
contracteng wrote:I've talked to him lots of times. Many times I have dropped off an EAS unit to him or a phase monitor and he has fixed the problem and even had a couple times he has dropped the repaired unit off at the station where it goes or we meet somewhere and I pick it up. Unlike TFT who wants almost $300 up front before they will even touch there EAS unit to fix it and take forever doing it, Jim does a quick turn around and I bet the bill is no where near as high. I like his EAS unit none of that junky built in printer that you are at the mercy of the manufacture and buying special paper.