DTV CONVERTER BOX COUPONS: MORE THAN 1 MILLION REQUESTED

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Force Commander

DTV CONVERTER BOX COUPONS: MORE THAN 1 MILLION REQUESTED

Post by Force Commander »

"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

it amazes me how people dont understand the actual devices in their home or the services they recieve.. I've spent the last year telling both my parents and my in-laws that they dont need to get those damn coupons....
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

<--- Planning to get the stupid coupons....

...and still trying to figure out how they'll work with the little, battery-operated, 2"-screen TV I take in the car..... :roll:
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

For those wanting coupons or more information: https://www.dtv2009.gov
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Force Commander

Post by Force Commander »

"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

So much for me being able to smuggle a 5" B&W set into work during the NCAA early rounds...
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

how much are the boxes going to cost?
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Don't know. That's why you get two vouchers.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:how much are the boxes going to cost?
got a cable box spike??? then u have one... only reason you would need these is if you pull in your tv off antenna... you should go ahead an invest in a newer tv anyways, High def is the shizzle... or whatever the term is these days.... :lol:
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Don't apply yet! Those vouchers are only good for 90 days, so wait until Best Buy, Amazon, or Buy.com has them in stock!
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

I'm sure I don't need one but, as my wife says, since I'm old, grumpy and extremely poor and obsessed with all the money other people have, I need to put a dollar amount on everything.

Plus - and I'm denying my geek roots here - I'm just not blown away by HD at all. It looks slightly brighter and sharper than my 6 year old $200 27" TV at home, but the edges and lines seem very artifact-y to me. Not worth the price they're asking for the TVs, and certainly not worth paying extra for the HD channels.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

I've been full on HD now for about 3 years here in our house, I'll agree in the fact that early on it did have that same "kinda fake" feeling but as the technology has developed so has the quality of the media coming out. I pulled out a Blu-ray yesterday that I also have on dvd and loaded them up side by side and it blew my mind.. I totally love a good bloody movie in HD :lol:
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Oh I'll agree that the picture on some of the TVs looks slightly nicer than my regular telly - just not a grand and a half worth of nice, particularly since it's an even bigger kick in the monthlies just to get the HD channels and gawd knows how much extra for HD movies on DVD. And I see now that the first gen Blu-Ray players won't even be able to access the extra content on new movies! If I had shelled out early for a Blu-Ray player, I'd be plenty pissed about that.

It still seems scraggy round the edges, though, and I just don't feel that it's anywhere near the picture revolution that the TV manufacturers are trying to make me believe. But, as I say, I'm grumpy and old and poor.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

I may have to go HD just to get away from the blurriness SD now has due to sucky down-converting from glorious HD production.... :x

For example, WWE went HD supposedly last night.....if the soft, fuzzy SD image was/is any indication, they actually did it several weeks ago in a soft (heh!) debut before going public with it....
Last edited by Arp2 on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

HD on dvd is the same price as regular dvd, luckily I didnt get a first gen blu-ray, only had one for a few months now. I used to have satelite HD for a while, had regular cable for about a year now, I download most of my HD content :twisted:
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I predict that this holiday season will have some crazy sick deals on Blu and HD...

I think I'll hold out.

If I want to see HD that bad, my Samsung computer monitor is HD capable... Just get a Blu player and plug it in.

I love how flat the sets are now. They make the standard defs look like bricks.

In 10 years, we will laugh about how much living room space was used for old fashioned TVs back in the stone age.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

K- wrote:I predict that this holiday season will have some crazy sick deals on Blu and HD...

I think I'll hold out.

If I want to see HD that bad, my Samsung computer monitor is HD capable... Just get a Blu player and plug it in.

In 10 years, we will laugh about how much living room space was used for old fashioned TVs back in the stone age.
kinda like how 15 years ago we ragged on the old floor models... :)

i remember we still had one of those when i was in middle school. maybe even early high school
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

if you wanna use your comp you can get a blu/hd burner for around a hundered bucks..
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

K- wrote:I predict that this holiday season will have some crazy sick deals on Blu and HD...

I think I'll hold out.

Just ponder how much space in hotel rooms is wasted with big ol' CRTs.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.