Translating AM

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Dave Loudin

Translating AM

Post by Dave Loudin »

I stumbled upon this STA application for the owners of WANB Waynesburg, PA, to rebroadcast via a co-owned translator mounted on the tower. Paraphrasing: This will provide first nighttime AM service to Waynesburg (via FM?!), and, while we're at it, our dinky daytime signal sucks, so this will improve daytime service to the community. Plus, we're only asking for permission until you change the rules to let this happen - which we know you will.

:evil: This reinforces my belief that this practice is simply substituting one low-power signal for another. Why not be transparent and have a filing window for Class Ds to offer up their AM station license for an FM one?
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

If there is such a "need" for all these satellite-drone, one-lung AM stations to be heard ... then why not expand the FM band down into TV Channels 5 and 6? It ain't too late, you know.

Me sees this as yet another case of the bastards at the NAB talking out of both sides of their mouth: LPFM's flea powered signals are worthless and a major cause of interference to existing full-power broadcasters, but FM translators are wonderful, and necessary, and won't be any problem at all.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

[quote="Hoosier Daddy"]If there is such a "need" for all these satellite-drone, one-lung AM stations to be heard ... then why not expand the FM band down into TV Channels 5 and 6? It ain't too late, you know.

I've never understood why this wasn't done in the first place...at least with Channel 6.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Jon Fox

Post by Jon Fox »

Last time I heard WANB-AM they were simulcasting WANB-FM... perhaps they are getting ready with the plans of moving 103.1 closer to Pittsburgh.
Force Commander

Are FM Translators A Lock for AM Stations?

Post by Force Commander »

Interesting article in Radio World about it:

http://www.rwonline.com/pages/s.0046/t.10656.html
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."