WVA to get new area code

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Dr. Loomis wrote:I've read in several places that the new area code for the northern half of West Virginia will likely be 681.
You are probably correct. When selecting a new area code, NANPA requires an unused exchange prefix within the old area code be reserved so it cannot be assigned. You cannot have an exchange number that is the same as the area code in which it resides. You'll never see (304) 304-xxxx because it would confuse the switching network computers.

With a split, you'll have a grace period where either area code will be usable inside the newly split area. I'm not sure how or if a grace period would operate in an overlay.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

681 reserved as West Virginia's new area code.

For now, 681 is showing as a geographical assignment, meaning the state will be divided up into separate 304 and 681 areas.

:)
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Ah, but not so fast...

Some Legislators Unhappy With PSC Decision

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?f ... ryid=34503

Some northern lawmakers are questioning the state Public Service Commission's Jan. 29 order to assign a second area code to the northern half of the state.

"Private businesses are going to have tremendous cost in changing all their numbers," said Marion County Delegate and House of Delegates Majority Whip Mike Caputo, "and tax dollars as well for county seats, municipal seats, all their printed materials, letterhead and everything."

"You probably couldn't pile it in one room there's so much of it -- it's not going to be good anymore."

Caputo, along with Majority Leader Joe DeLong, D-Hancock, Delegate Tim Ennis, D-Brooke and Delegate Randy Swartzmiller, D-Hancock, met with PSC Chairman Michael Albert Feb. 1.

"We just asked him to explain the decision to us," Caputo said.

Albert split with his colleagues in the 2-1 decision.

"In my opinion, the most timely, efficient and least disruptive approach to a relief plan for the 304 area code is the 'overlay' approach rejected by the Commission Order," he wrote in his dissenting opinion.

In an overlay system, new telephone lines anywhere in the state would have the new area code, avoiding the need for users to change existing numbers.

An op-ed piece...

Divided, Conquered: PSC Gets It Wrong

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?f ... ryid=34530

Decision will create an unreasonable burden on businesses that market their telephone numbers through signs, advertising, telephone listings, stationery and so forth.

....The PSC's decision deserves reconsideration -- and then a wholesale reversal.
:wink:
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

An overlay means that if you dial any number, you have to dial the area code as well.

PITA!

Then, again, I remember when you could dial just four numbers and it would connect.... (don't remember where this was, though)
genlock

Post by genlock »

Or just tell Mildred the operator who you wished to talk to.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Krockpot,

That's the same argument you hear every time a new area code is proposed. In the long run, it makes more sense to do a split. There's a grace period for the changeover where both area codes work, and then you get a recording announcing the change in area codes.

Business costs usually involve new printed material (letterhead, business cards, et. al.) but rarely anything else. If you know it's coming, most businesses hold off on print jobs until the new area code is up and running. Several local businesses in our area used "white out", adhesive labels, and/or rubber stamps to make corrections in old printed material until they could justify buying new stuff.

Pound for pound, a split is much easier to work with than an overlay.

8)
Last edited by Hoosier Daddy on Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Tom Taggart wrote:Then, again, I remember when you could dial just four numbers and it would connect.... (don't remember where this was, though)
Ah, the old step offices!

Dialing just four (later five) numbers. A fond childhood memory.

:D
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Another problem in WV is they waited far too long to implement the new area code. The PSC, being so out of touch with tech demands, did not have a sense of urgency back when this was first proposed in 2000... Had they went ahead and did it then, it would be one thing.

But now, we will be out of 304 numbers before this takes effect--in another 18 months.

An overlay would add new numbers almost instantly.

As I said, I've been dealing with overlays and long distance for the last 10 years anyway... I really don't find it problematic at all.

The PSC will probably revisit this issue because of political pressure.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

W.Va. PSC reverses area code decision
February 13, 2008 4:50 PM

CHARLESTON, W.Va.

The state Public Service Commission made a lot of West Virginians happy today by deciding to issue the state's second area code to new telephone customers only.

Representatives of Governor Manchin and Attorney General Darrell McGraw praised the PSC for dumping an earlier plan that would have assigned the new 618 area code to 28 northern and eastern counties.

Manchin spokeswoman Lara Ramsburg says the new approach makes the most sense for all West Virginians.

Manchin, McGraw and state lawmakers complained about the original plan when it was issued January 29th.

Verizon Communications also praised the PSC, saying the new plan will minimize disruption.

PSC spokeswoman Sarah Robertson says the commission changed its mind primarily because of the negative impact the original plan would have had on businesses.

The new so-called overlay plan will take effect in 13 to 16 months. It will require people to dial 10 digits -- the new area code and number -- for all calls.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

the new 618 area code

618 belongs to Illinois.

8)
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Yo, we all now down en da 681, biatch.

Businesses with crappy numbers can now get in line for easy to remember 681 numbers. As well as just about anyone who simply wants a new number, within their assigned prefix, of course. We will have more numbers than we know what to do with for some time.

I'm surprised that the overlay will still take almost as long to take effect, though...

From now on, numbers are 10 digits, not 7.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I can't stand those bitches from 681. We be 304 and we represent. 8)
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Life is Seinfeld, and Seinfeld is life..... :lol:
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

<bump>

It's official.

http://www.nanpa.com/pdf/PL_375.pdf

681 is the new overlay code for West Virginia.

Operational and functioning on March 28, 2009.

:?
TimL

Post by TimL »

In Canton, Akron and Youngstown we've had 330 as the first "New" area code for a long thime..In more recent years they've added an "Overlay" code of 234. I've yet to see a local number with a 234 area code..I would have preferred a split area code..
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Overlays are a mess and I also prefer splits ... BUT, in your situation, you might be able to work out a really cool phone number like 1-234-567-8910 or something extremely unique ...

:lol:
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

1-234-567-8910 has been reserved for the bomb squad :roll:
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Remember Hooked on Phonics? 1-800-abc-defg
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.