WVA to get new area code

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

genlock

WVA to get new area code

Post by genlock »

For the central, northern and both panhandles.
And Wheeling.

I suggest 666.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

:lol:

Great. Now the rest of us are still stuck with the shitty 304 code...

Will this mean that we'll now have to dial the area code every time we call someone? Not that it matters, since it has been like that just about everywhere else.

I kind of thought that they would do an overlay code, where if all the 304 numbers are used up at any given time, new numbers would default to the new one.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?f ... ryid=19113
A recently conducted telephone industry study favors overlaying a second area code, rather than having people switch area codes, said Lee Gierczynski, spokesman for Verizon. Blanketing the state with the new number is usually how other states handle the problem, he said.

"Overlays are less disruptive for customers," he said. "Overlays have been done in most major metropolitan markets around the country. ... That's the approach Verizon supports."

Which means, we'll wind up with a split, just to be stubborn.

:P
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

You know what? I just realized that article is a year old.

But this isn't...

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/art ... 620844.htm
Jan. 29, 2008 (Thomson Financial delivered by Newstex) --

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - The state Public Service Commission voted 2-1 Tuesday to create a second area code for West Virginia to ensure the state does not run out of telephone numbers in the near future.

The agency's order splits the state in half, with the new area code being assigned to customers living in 28 northern and eastern counties. Charleston and central and southern counties will retain the 61-year-old 304 area code.

PSC Chairman Michael A. Albert voted against the geographic plan, preferring an overlay approach that was supported by AT&T (NYSE:SBT) (NYSE:T) , telecommunications companies and others who have commented on the proposal in the past year.

In an overlay approach, existing customers would retain their current numbers. The new area code would be assigned to new telephone numbers.
Holy freaking crap, Batman. I thought I was joking...

The alleged reason?
The PSC said its preferred the geographic approach because it would make it easier for callers to 'recognize the general geographic location of a telephone number.'

Robertson said the PSC can be asked to reconsider Tuesday's order, or opponents can appeal the decision to the state Supreme Court.
I for one hope they reconsider... What does that matter whether or not you recognize where a call is coming from?

In addition to the already existing run on 304 numbers, doing it this way will take another 15-18 months to implement, whereas an overlay would be effective almost immediately.

Good lord. I feel like I'm living in a twilight zone sometimes.

The PSC should be disbanded, effective immediately. They can't get anything right.
Hoosier Daddy

Re: WVA to get new area code

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

genlock wrote:For the central, northern and both panhandles.
And Wheeling.

I suggest 666.
Can't be done.
"Repeating" numbers are restricted and are not assigned as general area codes.
In fact, the last two numbers (i.e., 477, 655, 922) cannot repeat either.
Don't ask me how I know this.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Bar Rat

Post by Bar Rat »

Go to www.nanpa.com

It has more information on area codes than any human being should be allowed access to.
Bar Rat

Post by Bar Rat »

K- wrote::lol:

Great. Now the rest of us are still stuck with the shitty 304 code...

Will this mean that we'll now have to dial the area code every time we call someone? Not that it matters, since it has been like that just about everywhere else.

I kind of thought that they would do an overlay code, where if all the 304 numbers are used up at any given time, new numbers would default to the new one.
I thought one of two things would happen. Either the Huntington-Charleston-maybe Morgantown interstate corridor would keep 304 and everyone else would get a new one or there would be an overlay.

The only time the rural area to my knowledge has gotten to keep its area code without an overlay was the 606 in Kentucky. Lexington and the immediate area was changed to 859 while the rest of EKY was left with 606 -- done for "economic" reasons.
Bar Rat

Re: WVA to get new area code

Post by Bar Rat »

genlock wrote:I suggest 666.
666 is reserved for telemarketers and "fund-raisers" and political bullshit.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Bar Rat wrote:The only time the rural area to my knowledge has gotten to keep its area code without an overlay was the 606 in Kentucky. Lexington and the immediate area was changed to 859 while the rest of EKY was left with 606 -- done for "economic" reasons.
The metro area usually gets to keep the older established area code.
Lexington chose 859 because it spells out U KY (University of Kentucky), perhaps the world's only Vanity Area Code.
And you thought Buckeye fans were psycho-loyalists ...

8)
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
Bar Rat wrote:The only time the rural area to my knowledge has gotten to keep its area code without an overlay was the 606 in Kentucky. Lexington and the immediate area was changed to 859 while the rest of EKY was left with 606 -- done for "economic" reasons.
The metro area usually gets to keep the older established area code.
Lexington chose 859 because it spells out U KY (University of Kentucky), perhaps the world's only Vanity Area Code.
And you thought Buckeye fans were psycho-loyalists ...

8)
386 was chosen as the new Daytona Beach area code because of (FUN).

That FL PSC - cutey little *uckers, huh?

(Fun before their housing-market crashed)
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

After checking the Holy Grail of Area Codes, the new area code for West Virginia has not been assigned yet.

982 would be a nice one. It's available for assignment, and spells out "WVA".

:)
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

Thus why I still have my WV cell phone...still keep that 3-0-4ah...

man...what's going to happen to the WV rappers? Will they have alternate mixes of their songs?
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Again, an overlay would be the path of least resistance. We may very well be out of 304 numbers before this will take effect. Never mind that half the people will be inconvenienced by having to change numbers.

I think what it came down to is a bunch of old coots who are too lazy to dial 3 extra digits before every call...

Also, this decision tells me that these people are so far out of the tech loop that they shouldn't be in this position of power to begin with.

But yet, in spite of the phone companies recommendations, and that having all of those numbers almost instantly available benefits everyone, they buck the trend and insist on doing things the hard way.

Kind of like everyone else running this state.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

We had our area code changed from 614 to 740 in 1997. It was no big deal -- the area code changed but our main number did not, and there was a grace period where either area code worked. My main gripe is that when the split occured, 740 was predicted to be exhausted in 10-15 years, and the old 614 (now Metro Columbus only) area code was to be exhausted in 5-8 years. Why not hand out two or three new area codes at the same time to give us at least 20 years of growth before something has to be added or changed again?

I absolutely despise Overlays. We have friends who live near Toledo. They are sharing 419 and 567 as overlays. Calling across the street now involves dialing 10 digits, just like calling across the continent. Some homes or businesses with more than one line have two different area codes inside the same building. It's hard to know what is long distance and what is local.

Don't make this any more of a pain in the ass than it already will be.

8)
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

When I was in VA, we had one single area code for the longest time: 703. Then, about 1998, they added 571 as an overlay. We were then told that every single number you dial has to be preceded by the area code, as in the situation you described. Sure, it was a pain for a little while, but everyone got used to it fairly quick.

Also, for the first couple years, you could practically pick your 571 number if it was available. Businesses also jumped on it and took up the easy numbers.

It's really not that bad... Heck, my cell is still 703, so I still have to dial the area code all the time anyway.

I have my reasons for keeping a non-local cell number... It weeds out a lot of BS calls, since it's long distance locally.

This new area code will likely be the last one WV ever gets, if nothing is ever done to stop the population bleed.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

K- wrote:This new area code will likely be the last one WV ever gets, if nothing is ever done to stop the population bleed.
10 years from now, they could be giving it back ...

Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

K- wrote:When I was in VA, we had one single area code for the longest time: 703. Then, about 1998, they added 571 as an overlay. We were then told that every single number you dial has to be preceded by the area code, as in the situation you described. Sure, it was a pain for a little while, but everyone got used to it fairly quick.
Wasn't 10-digit dialing mandatory in the DC region way before then, so that DC's 202 could last longer?

(Think about it - local dialing covered three area codes. An exchange in one would be knocked out in the other two.)
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:I absolutely despise Overlays.
I wasn't saying a word because I thought I was the only one....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Dave Loudin wrote:Wasn't 10-digit dialing mandatory in the DC region way before then, so that DC's 202 could last longer?

(Think about it - local dialing covered three area codes. An exchange in one would be knocked out in the other two.)
Only if you called DC or MD. Not if you called within 703 in VA.

At one time, the 703 code stretched from Northern VA all the way down the Shenandoah Valley into Southwest VA, including Roanoke and Lynchburg. In the early 90's, 703 became exclusively NoVA, and 540 was added.

Now there are several area codes in VA.
Arp2 wrote:I wasn't saying a word because I thought I was the only one....
I honestly don't see a problem... So you dial 10 digits instead of 7. Big deal...

If it's a long distance issue, it shouldn't be. Most cell plans include free long distance. Many landline people also have long distance plans. IMO, the only reason the phone companies still get away with charging long distance rates is because nobody complains...

Meh, it's no big deal to me. I just found it amusing that the state's PSC went against all the recommendations of the phone companies. They would've probably voted for the overlay had they instead recommended a split code...

Dr. Loomis

Post by Dr. Loomis »

Dave Loudin wrote: Wasn't 10-digit dialing mandatory in the DC region way before then, so that DC's 202 could last longer?

With D.C. growing so rapidly these days, I'm surprised that 202 hasn't been exhausted yet. You still only have to dial 7 digits within the area code.

I've read in several places that the new area code for the northern half of West Virginia will likely be 681. There is an explanation for this here.