PSRAs and PSSAs

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Dave Loudin

PSRAs and PSSAs

Post by Dave Loudin »

Once having discovered (through a snarky post on another site) that the pre-sunrise (PSRA) and post-sunset authorization (PSSA) letters to AM stations are accessable in CDBS, I perused a few for this area. The range of authorizations range from the exceedingly simple (500 watts from 6 AM to sunrise) to the exceedingly complex (17 watts for 30 minutes post sunset followed by 5 watts for another 30 minutes this month, 5 watts for 15 minutes another month...). Some PSSAs step through four power levels over a couple of hours.

Does the FCC realistically expect stations to adhere to this? How could this possibly be enforced?
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Force Commander

Re: PSRAs and PSSAs

Post by Force Commander »

Dave Loudin wrote:Once having discovered (through a snarky post on another site) that the pre-sunrise (PSRA) and post-sunset authorization (PSSA) letters to AM stations are accessable in CDBS, I perused a few for this area. The range of authorizations range from the exceedingly simple (500 watts from 6 AM to sunrise) to the exceedingly complex (17 watts for 30 minutes post sunset followed by 5 watts for another 30 minutes this month, 5 watts for 15 minutes another month...). Some PSSAs step through four power levels over a couple of hours.

Does the FCC realistically expect stations to adhere to this? How could this possibly be enforced?
It happens often these days. Most transmitters from the late 80's through now has 5 (and some more) adjustable power level settings available. A Sine or Burk among other systems are programmed to do the proper commands and away it goes. It is a bear when you program it, but after that things normally run smooth. It must have been fun to reprogram the system after the change in daylight savings time.

AM Stations with older transmitters almost all have at least a single high and low power setting. Those stations on the low power setting run the lowest power on the license to stay in compliance (which is allowed) or purchase an LPB or other such low power AM transmitter to run the lowest power.

I do agree though that the PSRA and PSSA system itself is a mess. I do remember working at a former daytimer that was excited they were given at least some night authority since they had none to begin with. Others waited years until it was time to upgrade the transmitter to start using the night authority.

As far as how it is enforced, I would say not very well. I am aware of stations that cheat the system and run higher power than allowed at night, some even at full day power. Unless someone measures the questionable station and reports it to the FCC, nothing happens. I do know for a fact the FCC will send someone out to investigate if it is reported. Interesting story about a competitor comes to mind.
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Thanks, FC. You can tell its been years since I've been in an AM site.

Here's the complicated example. Tweaking the licensing scheme to provide maximum coverage is one thing, but I don't see the skywave models being good enough to make some of these fine-grained assignments defendable.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.