WATO Oak Ridge, Tennessee tower falls

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Force Commander

WATO Oak Ridge, Tennessee tower falls

Post by Force Commander »

"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
genlock

Post by genlock »

It took the station TWO DAYS to find out that the tower fell down?

"While the station remained on the air for two days, personnel discovered the fallen tower Thursday, forcing Horne Radio to shut down WATO due to exposed wires and other variables which were deemed unsafe."

Looks like the hard drive that was running the station failed to check
tower lights or base currents.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Force Commander

Post by Force Commander »

Don't you have a feeling there is a fine on the horizon? Now that this is hitting the trades (already in http://www.allaccess.com) it will be difficult for the FCC to ignore that the station was at least out of pattern for 2 days before discovering and taking action.
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Force Commander wrote:Don't you have a feeling there is a fine on the horizon? Now that this is hitting the trades (already in http://www.allaccess.com) it will be difficult for the FCC to ignore that the station was at least out of pattern for 2 days before discovering and taking action.
Lessee...

Tower light violation(s) - check.
AM Fencing requirement violation - check.
Directional monitoring violation - check.
Directional field-strength violation - check.
Harmful Interference violation - check.
Exposed rf radiation/current violation - check.
Form of payment the US Treasury receive from the licensee - check.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Force Commander wrote:Don't you have a feeling there is a fine on the horizon? Now that this is hitting the trades (already in http://www.allaccess.com) it will be difficult for the FCC to ignore that the station was at least out of pattern for 2 days before discovering and taking action.
A sad illustration on the state of (some) broadcast operations today.

:(
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:A sad illustration on the state of (some) broadcast operations today. :(
...but this is exactly the kind of station you guys say you want!!

...small-town station owned by a small owner that's kept it local-ish with small-town school sports and local church services.... :roll:

I don't get it........
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote: ... exactly the kind of station you guys say you want ... small-town station owned by a small owner that's kept it local-ish with small-town school sports and local church services....
Yep. Absolutely. Underlined. Bold face. 8)
I don't get it.
You didn't go far enough. Add the part about giving a damn and/or having your shit together so you'd realize you had a tower on the ground. Surely to God there was a transmitter meter reading messed up or an alarm or your transmitter's failsafe shut you down because when you went to the night pattern you set the grass on fire or a listener called and said they can't hear you in Nagatuck Falls anymore but a farmer reported five electrocuted cows caught in a barbed wire fence next to the antenna farm ...

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Arp2 wrote:
Hoosier Daddy wrote:A sad illustration on the state of (some) broadcast operations today. :(
...but this is exactly the kind of station you guys say you want!!

...small-town station owned by a small owner that's kept it local-ish with small-town school sports and local church services.... :roll:

I don't get it........
I agree with HD... if the tower fell and the station was nothing more than fire and forget satellite programming (except for the occasional local sportscast), I'm pretty sure no one here has advocated such a beast.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

If a tower falls in a field... and no one is around to hear it... does it make a sound?

I swear, this sounds like something that would happen to Rosco Peters, rest his soul.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Big Media wrote:If a tower falls in a field... and no one is around to hear it... does it make a sound?

I swear, this sounds like something that would happen to Rosco Peters, rest his soul.
Only after the plate current, voltage, and base-current meter had been altered downward to reflect legal operation.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear