The rules have changed

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Force Commander

The rules have changed

Post by Force Commander »

At least in the bigger markets. I can't imagine (at least the way wireless internet operates now) it working in the hills, but the cities.............

http://gizmodo.com/5123673/worlds-first ... -dashboard
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Hoosier Daddy

Re: The rules have changed

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

DON'T CLICK THE LINK

You'll get a never ending cascading flood of advertisments for this device that will force you to reboot your computer.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

It's based on GSM, so anywhere AT&T has 3G or EDGE service, it will work.

Right now.

Even in the hills.

The rules changed years ago... Some of us have been saying this was coming for quite some time.

I've also predicted that in the future many will listen to radio without ever using an actual radio.

What's a stick on a mountain if people can hear you world-wide on their cell phones?

And soon in-dash internet radio.

8)
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:DON'T CLICK THE LINK

You'll get a never ending cascading flood of advertisments for this device that will force you to reboot your computer.

Worked fine for me...

:P
Force Commander

I worked for me as well. I didn't even get one pop-up.

Maybe it knows you don't like translators! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Force Commander

K-Rock wrote:It's based on GSM, so anywhere AT&T has 3G or EDGE service, it will work.

Right now.

Even in the hills.

The rules changed years ago... Some of us have been saying this was coming for quite some time.

I've also predicted that in the future many will listen to radio without ever using an actual radio.

What's a stick on a mountain if people can hear you world-wide on their cell phones?

And soon in-dash internet radio.

8)
Seriously? Mine cell goes completely out in most of eastern KY with no signal. Most coverage maps of service I have seen show most of east KY as a dead zone. Things like that must change before this could happen nationally. I got to believe places like deep Tennessee and the Rockies are even worse. Am I missing something?
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Dude... You may want to update your adware protection or download FireFox and add on AdBlock Plus.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I thought he was joking...
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Force Commander wrote:Seriously? Mine cell goes completely out in most of eastern KY with no signal. Most coverage maps of service I have seen show most of east KY as a dead zone. Things like that must change before this could happen nationally. I got to believe places like deep Tennessee and the Rockies are even worse. Am I missing something?
There will always be technology backwaters. There are still places in this country that have never had any cell service to date. Much less high-speed data networks...

But the vast majority of major cities and the interstate highways linking them are already covered. (where most people are most of the time). Even in WV, most of the cities and major highways have at least EDGE coverage, which is usually sufficient for low bitrate streams.

So, yeah, while this radio would work now, it wouldn't be reliable outside of cities and going thru dead spots. But in 3-5 years, this feature will be extremely common on aftermarket and even auto manufacturer radios. Also by then, most carriers will be working on expanding 4G service, which can hold virtually any data stream you could put into it.

I do take issue with the predicted death of satellite radio, though. Wi-fi has a long way to go before it outperforms its coverage. Also, because of its virtually seamless coast-to-coast coverage, it is too valuable of a service to just be allowed to "fail". It may be in a different form 5 years from now, but it will still be here.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Lester wrote:I thought he was joking...
I never had any problems.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

More info on this radio...

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/ces-m ... radio.html

It uses your phone as a modem to receive webstreams. Due out the second half of this year...

8)
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Lester wrote:I thought he was joking...
My adblock is telling me it's block 9 out of 121 items on that page. :evil: