Analog TV forever!

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Dave Loudin

Analog TV forever!

Post by Dave Loudin »

Add the incoming administration to Consumers Union and Congress that wants to delay the analog TV sunset. I don't suppose they've stopped to consider all the planning and expense that has gone on so far to make Feb. 17th work. :x
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Big Media

Re: Analog TV forever!

Post by Big Media »

I absolutely agree.

We are, essentially, back to square 1. Now (assuming this happens, which it will) we need a new marketing campaign to REeducate the public about the new deadline, we need additional soft tests to keep it fresh in the viewers minds, more annoying crawls, more annoying FCC PSAs, more annoying motion bugs with the stupid countdown clock (like we are headed to DefCon 1 or something). In addition, TV stations budgeted for only DTV operations after 2/17. Now, since the budgets are finalized, we have to pull money from elsewhere to make up the $5,000 monthly difference in the power bill, etc.

We previously discussed lease terminations for many analog sites. The stations negotiated a lease allowing them to dismantle the analog transmitter before March 1 and not have to continue paying for that floor space. What are these stations supposed to do?

In some cases, the transmitter building owner already had new tenants lined up to take over that floor space. Now what?

I could go on and on.

We have spent MONTHS preparing for this damn arbitrary deadline. Now, they want us to redux? I don't think so, Chief. We are shutting the damn thing off and dismantling it 2/17. :evil:

Hallelujah!

Holy shit!

Where’s the Tylenol?
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

You want to give people time, but at some point, you have to resign them to their own stupidity and stubbornness.

They'll figure it out fast when they have to.
Force Commander

Post by Force Commander »

Now former FCC Chairmen Bill Kennard and Michael Powell are doing the OP-ED in favor of waiting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/opini ... ef=opinion

and the big 4 are falling behind Obama's delay idea.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/articl ... ryid=48696

Good times, great oldies!
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
genlock

Post by genlock »

Gonna be a problem for some stations, as they have not done replacement and maintenance activities on
the old analog transmitters in anticipation of their final sign-off. It would be folly to replace a $25,000 final tube
in the month before the transmitter becomes scrap. Some stations have ordered new higher powered
DTV transmitters or are moving from low power uhf back to their analog hi-band vhf assignment.
Delaying the cut-over will mess up these schedules. A delay is stupid.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Force Commander

Post by Force Commander »

genlock wrote:Gonna be a problem for some stations, as they have not done replacement and maintenance activities on
the old analog transmitters in anticipation of their final sign-off. It would be folly to replace a $25,000 final tube
in the month before the transmitter becomes scrap. Some stations have ordered new higher powered
DTV transmitters or are moving from low power uhf back to their analog hi-band vhf assignment.
Delaying the cut-over will mess up these schedules. A delay is stupid.
Genlock, let me take your thoughts to the politicial level. What if Obama is aware as we all are that the switch will likely be a mess, but also knows it is really too late to stop it? Coming out in the media fighting the changeover, but it knowing it must happen at this point because of broadcaster issues. Then when the stink comes, put the blame on the TV industry itself instead of the administration. I can see the I tried, big business did it anyway, it's not my fault defense potentially coming into play. The TV industry will be left with the liar liar pants on fire defense to fight back the negative press that could come from this kind of play, and the President looks like he tried to stand up and protect the American people from the greed of big media companies. Imagine the next time ownership rules come up with this on the industry's back! Your thoughts?
"We are the CC Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your broadcast stations. We will add your biological and creative distinctiveness to our own. Your broadcast personality will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

That's an interesting perspective, but I think the true answer is much simpler: A lot of people out there just aren't prepared for the DTV conversion. I think this is one of the most ill-concieved plans ever concocted and executed by the government (with back room help from "the broadcast industry", including equipment manufacturers and all the ancillary fingers in the money pot).

Just think of the flow chart on this one:

> Decision made to go digital. The public is asleep and/or doesn't understand or care.
> New spectrum "given away" in defiance of every auction/money making policy currently in place at the FCC.
> Stations are told they must change to digital. There is no analog option. Unless you are low power or Class A. Then nobody really knows what you're supposed to do.
> Studios are rewired and new transmitters and antennas purchased at great expense.
> In some cases, new towers must be built at an even greater expense.
> Everyone starts sending out digital signals on their new channel -- which they may or may not keep.
> In one market, Channel 5 becomes Channel 21 when the digital switch is thrown. Channel 5 goes dark forever. In another market, Channel 8 broadcasts in digital on Channel 32. Then analog 8 goes away. Then digital 32 goes away, and returns as a digital signal on 8. There is no rhyme or reason.
> PSAs air talking about digital conversions and cut off dates. People with cable TV don't initially understand whether they need to change anything.
> The electronics department folks at Wal-Mart and Best Buy are no help either.
> Now the heat gets turned up. Digital TV messages on the nightly news start to resemble that panicked "there's a big snow storm coming" hoopla as February 17, 2009 approaches.

A total absolute freaking mess. You couldn't have designed a bigger clusterfuck. But here's the problem: The clusterfuck has 10 stages and we are now on stage 8 or 9. Like it or not, the most reasonable thing to do now is to keep your head down and follow through. Just do it. Get it over with. Flip the digital switch, shut down analog, pull all the old equipment you don't need anymore, then clean the place up and lock the door. Now re-evaluate where we are. How many people haven't figured this out, and how do we help fix it? What about converting the LPs and Class A stations so the whole TV band is digital? Set some priorities, make new deadlines, and finish the boondoggle you started.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Hoosier Daddy wrote: Like it or not, the most reasonable thing to do now is to keep your head down and follow through. Just do it. Get it over with. Flip the digital switch, shut down analog, pull all the old equipment you don't need anymore, then clean the place up and lock the door. Now re-evaluate where we are. How many people haven't figured this out, and how do we help fix it? What about converting the LPs and Class A stations so the whole TV band is digital? Set some priorities, make new deadlines, and finish the boondoggle you started.

8)

Well stated. I absolutely agree. The clusterfuck you refer to is instantly made 1,000 times worse by delaying the transition.

Further, using my $5,000/month power bill example, let's assume it will cost each broadcaster a very conservative $3,500/month in additional consumption until the shut-off date. We have approximately 1760 full-power television stations in the United States. Extending the shut-off by just 30 days will cost the industry $6,160,000. Yep, that's 6.2 MILLION EVERY 30 DAYS! Divided by $40 that's 154,000 coupons.

Shut off the transmitters and find a way to get coupons to the customers instead of extending the deadline.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Imagine how much worse it will be if they ever force a digital deadline for radio...

:P
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

K-Rock wrote:Imagine how much worse it will be if they ever force a digital deadline for radio...

A horrible idea, since there is no such thing as a good digital portable. Power consumption is a major problem.

As far as TV and emergencies go, at least I can run a TV and my Dish box off a generator if the power goes out.
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Don't forget that some analogs are at half-power in order to convert a part of the transmitter to digital, some have already gone digital-only, and some are completely off-air in order to get antenna work done for a channel someone else is still using for analog. There are waaay to many interlocking parts to delay everything now.

I tried to make this point on a washingtonpost.com chat with a Consumers Union person, but was ignored. Hmpf!
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Unless the FCC acts to change its rules, it would appear to me that stations would be required to switch to their permanent digital channel on February 17 (before the coronation, err. inauguration, on the 20th, I might add). So if everyone who is ready switches, and dismantles, what are the idiots in Washington going to do about it?

The "coupon shortage," we will discover, will be found to be driven by several million no-nothings who think they need to get the digital converter in order to watch their favorite cable programs------ :roll:
genlock

Post by genlock »

Coronation is on January 20, not Feb 20.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

sportsvoice wrote:
K-Rock wrote:Imagine how much worse it will be if they ever force a digital deadline for radio...

A horrible idea, since there is no such thing as a good digital portable. Power consumption is a major problem.
It would be now and the foreseeable future, but maybe in another 10-15 years, I can see a push for this to happen. But of course, a full conversion will take another 10-15 years on top of that, just like this DTV crap that started in 1996.

Technology will catch up by then. Chipsets will run cooler and use far less energy. The HD debate will be settled, and perhaps their next-gen technology will minimize or solve the sideband issues. (Sorry. HD isn't going away, at least on FM).

There will likely be DTV portables by then, too.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Tom Taggart wrote: So if everyone who is ready switches, and dismantles, what are the idiots in Washington going to do about it?
I have wondered this myself, in all honesty. We are all in on this.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

If we had it to do over again:

> First, make sure this was a goal that would help broadcasters, equipment manufacturers, AND the viewers.
> Agree on and then outline the technical specs.
> Make sure manufacturers are producing digital ready TV sets once stations start the migration process.
> Assign every broadcaster a UHF television channel for digital operations.
> Everybody plays the UHF digital game, including LP, translators, and Class A TV.
> After a certain date, all stations must identify by their new digital channel assignment.
> All buildout will occur only on your new UHF frequency.
> Have a "twilight zone" where analog and digital are both on the air.
> After a certain date, start shutting down analog transmitters.
> Once the VHF band is vacant, consider refarming proposals.

8)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Genlock noted:

"Coronation is on January 20, not Feb 20."

:oops: Massive brain cramp. That's what happens when you eat at a place where the new cook is named Sal....

Sal Monella! :cry: