Are Digital Photos Susceptable To Degradation When Copied?

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Scott Reppert

Are Digital Photos Susceptable To Degradation When Copied?

Post by Scott Reppert »

Just wondering if digital photos "degrade in quality" with each successive copy made. Also, do they lose quality when converted from, let's say, .psd to .jpg formats?

Let me know, folks, let me know...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Hoosier Daddy

Re: Are Digital Photos Susceptable To Degradation When Copied?

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

I've noticed some degradation when converting from a high density format like .png to a more web friendly format like .jpg. If the original is a very sharp photo, you have to look closely to see the changes but they are there. If your original graphic or photo is of moderate or poor quality, reducing the file size by converting it to another format just amplifies the poor quality. I have never noticed any changes when simply copying a photo and re-using it as is.

8)
Last edited by Hoosier Daddy on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

For the most part, yes.

Copying the file itself, (As in moving img_0001.jpg from one place to another) will not degrade the quality.

Any conversion to a lossy format (GIF, JPG, PNG) will degrade the picture with each subsequent conversion. Even loading a JPG, modifying it, and resaving as a JPG will degrade the image.

PSD's, BMP, and RAW format files are lossless formats, and that's why they are HUGE. They will not degrade if converted from one to the other, and should be the prefered method of modifying most of your images. The last thing you do is convert it to a lossy format before emailing (due to size).
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Lester wrote:For the most part, yes.

Copying the file itself, (As in moving img_0001.jpg from one place to another) will not degrade the quality.

Any conversion to a lossy format (GIF, JPG, PNG) will degrade the picture with each subsequent conversion. Even loading a JPG, modifying it, and resaving as a JPG will degrade the image.

PSD's, BMP, and RAW format files are lossless formats, and that's why they are HUGE. They will not degrade if converted from one to the other, and should be the prefered method of modifying most of your images. The last thing you do is convert it to a lossy format before emailing (due to size).
Yep. Could not have said it batter myself.

Also, DNG is the adobe open standard lossless format that camera makers are refusing to accept.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.