May or may not be important in broadcasting

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

genlock

May or may not be important in broadcasting

Post by genlock »

Most people prefer to be addressed in their right ears in everyday settings and are more likely to do a favor when the request is received in their right ears rather than their left ones, new research suggests.

A well-known asymmetry in humans is the right ear dominance for listening to verbal stimuli, which is thought to reflect the brain's left hemisphere superiority for processing verbal information. This preference for hearing with the right ear is also found in rats, Japanese macaques, harpy eagles, sea lions and dogs.

However, until now, the majority of studies looking at ear preference in human communication have been controlled laboratory studies. There has very little published observational evidence of spontaneous ear dominance in everyday human behavior.

This was a cut-n-paste from somewhere on the internet.
I forgot where.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Bar Rat

Re: May or may not be important in broadcasting

Post by Bar Rat »

genlock wrote:Most people prefer to be addressed in their right ears in everyday settings and are more likely to do a favor when the request is received in their right ears rather than their left ones, new research suggests.

A well-known asymmetry in humans is the right ear dominance for listening to verbal stimuli, which is thought to reflect the brain's left hemisphere superiority for processing verbal information. This preference for hearing with the right ear is also found in rats, Japanese macaques, harpy eagles, sea lions and dogs.

However, until now, the majority of studies looking at ear preference in human communication have been controlled laboratory studies. There has very little published observational evidence of spontaneous ear dominance in everyday human behavior.

This was a cut-n-paste from somewhere on the internet.
I forgot where.
Hmmm. Interesting. Must be why I don't grant anyone a favor. I prefer the left ear for equipment and general talking. I can't stand to talk on the phone or have anything in my right ear, although single-sided headsets are equally insanity-inducing, but that might be because I can hear outside influences. I had to wear an earbud under headphones in my right ear at a ball game to monitor a wireless mic because the cord wasn't long enough and it damn near drove me crazy, to the point that I switched places with the color guy so I could put it in my left ear.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

But you need two ears for the "cocktail party effect" which allows you to "tune out" distracting noises to focus on conversations in noisy environment.

Trust me, I know. Only have one working ear.

Hate cocktail parties.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Did they rule out left-handed people?
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

AmpedNow wrote:Did they rule out left-handed people?
No. Left handed people would want to have something whispered in their left ear. But with the majority of people being right handed, then using the right ear works more than enough.

But what about me? I was born a lefty, had a finger broken on my left hand at age 4 and then started using my right. :roll:
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
genlock

Post by genlock »

cgarison wrote:
AmpedNow wrote:Did they rule out left-handed people?

I was born a lefty, had a finger broken on my left hand at age 4 and then started using my right. :roll:

Nobody talks to accountants anyway.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."