AM now allowed to rebroadcast on FM translators

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

sportsvoice

Re: AM now allowed to rebroadcast on FM translators

Post by sportsvoice »

Total Cost: About $7,000 with all new equipment
What's the typical cost for a tower climber to put that stuff up? Or were you assuming on a 50' or so tower that the work could be done from a boom lift or bucket truck?
MTocco

Post by MTocco »

"This will get you about 3 miles of good signal. Enough to cover most small cities in this state. The best site for a translator is on a hill where you can see most of the town."

Wellllll... we just happen to own that hill in Grafton. It has a big old pointy metal tower about 270 ft high on it right now, with no trees to go over since we bull dozed them all down in 2002...Literally...

The radial field had already been dug up in the 80's so we just figured we'd get it all nice nice for the new radial field we laid down. Now THAT was a costly little project, speaking of costly little projects.

Really - I'd like to be able to fund the translator project, now that I know it isn't $75K. Probably should have tried to sneak it into the upgrade and new transmitter for the station... but not at Bernie's price.
He who laughs last, laughs loudest and longest.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

If you haven't sold by the time the next translator window opens up, go for it. I have the software to calculate contours (which then determines the maximum power)

Tower climber should be less than $500; although the tower impedance will need to be remeasured once the antenna and coax is hung. Also would need an isocoupler since it is a "hot" (i.e.= AM) tower.

But even with these added costs still around $10K for a full-time FM signal. Deal!
MTocco

Post by MTocco »

Tom Taggart wrote:If you haven't sold by the time the next translator window opens up, go for it. I have the software to calculate contours (which then determines the maximum power)

Tower climber should be less than $500; although the tower impedance will need to be remeasured once the antenna and coax is hung. Also would need an isocoupler since it is a "hot" (i.e.= AM) tower.

But even with these added costs still around $10K for a full-time FM signal. Deal!
I may hold your feet to the fire on that.
He who laughs last, laughs loudest and longest.