AM on FM translator question

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

fmksey

AM on FM translator question

Post by fmksey »

I thought I would start here since you guys have been so helpful in the past with tech questions,
I have an AM on 1230 and I'm interested in an FM translator in a city about 50 miles from my city of license. The station has a ok signal in the daytime in the city I want the translator in but really bad at night. Can I do it?

Other questions

1) Who would own the translaor?
2) What are the normal translator prowers - city I want to go to is about 100thousand population.
3) Does translator have to fed by off air signal?

Thanks
Mark
Tom Taggart

Re: AM on FM translator question

Post by Tom Taggart »

1. No,you can't. You can only translate in areas that are within the lesser of:

a. A 25 mile circle from your transmitter; or

b. Inside the daytime 2 mv/m contour (which, on 1230 with a kilowatt, is never going to be further out than 25 miles unless you are broadcasting from an island in the ocean).

2. A translator inside your 2 mv/m contour cannot have its 60 dbu extend beyond the AM station's 2 mv/m contour. The translator can be one you own, or one you lease, but it must have been licensed and on the air before May 2009.

3. Power limits vary with your distance from the Mexican and Canadian borders, but generally around 250 watts @ 200 feet above average terrain is the limit, about a 5 mile radius for a good signal.

4. These translators are defined as "fill-in" translators so can be fed by any "terrestrial means." Typically this could be an STL, although you could also use an equalized phone line, or a digital feeds such as a pots codec or internet feed.
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

If you transmit on your AM in English, you really don't need to translate for FM.
God Bless Us, Every One.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

You forget, he's in Texas :D
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

"Translators?!" said the new station manager, "We don't need no stinkin' translators!"
God Bless Us, Every One.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

A) What's your city-of-license? ---nevermind found-it.
B) What city are you trying to serve? ---nevermind. Think I've found it.
C) Is this an existing translator or a granted-CP?
D) How bad do you want into "market B"?

Looking at your market, there's a way to do this but it would require some money and a couple of legal agreements.

I don't believe this plan is beyond the scope of the existing FM translator or new AM on FM translator rules.
Just P.M. me for the details - I don't need this type of "creative-thinking" used against me in my market.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

There is a translator in Atlanta that relays an HD-2 signal. Presumably, if there is a station in the larger city running HD, you could make a deal to get on the HD-2 channel. Or install the HD equipment for a station (e.g., a non-com--they like money and don't care about competition) and use the HD-2 to feed a translator. Of course, you still need the translator...doesn't look like that window will open soon.