Video driver problems

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

cgarison

Re: Video driver problems

Post by cgarison »

I just installed Windows 7 Professional RTM 32 Bit on a Compaq laptop and setup all drivers for the laptop. Total time: 63 minutes. Even less had I already downloaded all the drivers. This OS is the first winner from MS since Windows 95.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Try a desktop install. I put the 64-bit version on my home PC, and as soon as it was done I kicked over to Device Manager to see what it failed to install. I had three items, and within 15 seconds two of them disappeared. It had run out to Windows Update and automatically installed the drivers it didn't have (including an nVidia GTX260). The Creative X-Fi was the only driver it wouldn't load (similar excuse as your laptop drivers, specialized backends that require a tad more than an INF file.)

Yeah, I haven't been this happy since 98 SE. :-)

(Although XP did grow on me over time.)
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Lester wrote:Try a desktop install. I put the 64-bit version on my home PC, and as soon as it was done I kicked over to Device Manager to see what it failed to install.

Yeah, I haven't been this happy since 98 SE. :-)

(Although XP did grow on me over time.)
My 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate install on monster was even quicker. The only piece of hardware that did not install first time was my ATI Theater HD. Other than that, my system was running in 45 minutes. Asus P5K with Core2Quad Q6600, 8MB Ram, and ATI 2650 w/512 MB. The video card will be upgraded when the DirectX 11 cards are released later this year.

One flaw that I found is that Windows 7 is that it does not recognize the boot order set in BIOS for the hard drives. My Drive 0 in BIOS was not being listed as first drive so Windows was trying to assign it Drive E instead of Drive C. This was fixed by unplugging the other two hard drives in the box and installing on only the drive that I wanted as drive C and performing the install. Other than that,Windows 7 64 bit was flawless.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Oh, and when I went out to install the latest nVidia driver (to replace the Windows installed version), no reboot.

I was stunned.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Lester wrote:Oh, and when I went out to install the latest nVidia driver (to replace the Windows installed version), no reboot.

I was stunned.
You are right. It did not have to reboot when I installed the video drivers.

I did have to reboot to update the eSata drivers last night. But that did not bug me too much because I used that to update the BIOS on my motherboard. :evil: (had another ASUS moment.)
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

XP Mode???

Make sure your CPU is compatible. AMD is pretty easy with all CPUs but the Sempron having the VT code built in. On the other hand, Intel is a bit more of a trick.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946

And only two of my 3 Intel Core CPUs are compatible. And it is my latest Core2Duo E7200 bargain bin "pocket rocket" CPU that missed the mark and not my ancient E6400 purchased in 2006 or the venerable Q6600 workhorse. Go figure.