Internet Explorer 8

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Mr. Jones

Internet Explorer 8

Post by Mr. Jones »

Question:

I'm running Windows 7 and IE8, yet many sites still treat it as if it's IE6. Am I doing something wrong, is this an inherent bug or what?
The Interpreter

Re: Internet Explorer 8

Post by The Interpreter »

You are probably running compability mode. With it, sites not designed for IE 8 will display as well as possible under an earlier IE form's style.

There is a simple remedy. It is called Firefox. I recommend it highly. Opera is also nice, though much less popular.
Rock

Post by Rock »

The Interpreter wrote:You are probably running compability mode. With it, sites not designed for IE 8 will display as well as possible under an earlier IE form's style.

There is a simple remedy. It is called Firefox. I recommend it highly. Opera is also nice, though much less popular.
The Interpreter is wise. Firefox is most excellent.
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Google Chrome is very fast, and especially appropriate for older computers, or computers with less memory.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Compatibility mode has been a great feature in Windows 7 and IE8 because now I do not need run Windows XP and IE 6 in a virtualized PC on my monster PC or use my netbook that has been setup with Windows XP SP3 and downgraded to IE6.

Finally, I will be able to migrate all of my PCs to the latest version of windows without fear of backwards compatibility with the latest generation of web applications for business.

Firefox still rocks. I just wish more software as a service providers embraced it as the standard and not Internet Exploder.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.