From a recent FB status update.

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

From a recent FB status update.

Post by Lester »

OK for those people who have an hd tv and have decided to get rid of their cable or paid tv. You don't have to waste your money to get a high fancy HD antenna. All you need is a metal coffee can, Iron nail and an old cable wire you can cut one end off of. We are getting something like 12 channels and the resolution... is better than the cavalier we were paying for very sad but true.
Discuss.
fearpeddler

Re: From a recent FB status update.

Post by fearpeddler »

what are we supposed to discuss?, it was always said that if your set had a DTV tuner in it already that ANY antenna would work....
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

From her follow-up post, I guess the discussion would be why a $60 HD Antenna *didn't* work, but that Foxworthy contraption did.
genlock

Post by genlock »

I don't know how the antenna is configured nor do I know the local area signal strengths.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

If you are within an ear shot of the transmitter, a damn coat hanger will give you pretty good reception. However, any discussion that a nail in a tin can is better than a prefabricated antenna warrants more information. IMO, I doubt it. More than likely, the so called fancy HD antenna was an amplified antenna and the idiot probably forgot to plug it in.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Undoubtedly. Biggest problem with most HD sets is that they are deaf as a post; the converters seem to have more of a front end.
Then you have a number of stations with digital facilities that are no match for their previous analog coverage area. Some simply haven't built out their new facilities, but others have been stuck with restricted allotments because of band crowding.

Rubbing salt into the wounds is that many of the advertised "Digital" antennas are really just UHF log periodics. Those stations that were able to snag "beach-front " property--upper VHF, now find viewers can't see them.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

What if you use an Iludium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator? Better reception? Worse?
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

I think the rabbit type antenna might give you some interference jay :lol:
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
lastone

Post by lastone »

My "ears" do just fine until a train goes by....
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

NO! For the best easy-to-do bowties, do not use the design from Lester's link or from the coat hanger YouTube video. Go here: http://m4antenna.eastmasonvilleweather. ... wings.html.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Airwaves

Post by Airwaves »

Well, here in Oak Hill you will get WOAY ABC on two feeds (SD & HD) and WSWP PBS on three feeds (PBS SD, PBS HD, & PBS Crafts).... I know of a few who have tried to put an antenna up outside to no avail....I did get WVNS CBS & FOX channels on an outside antenna but as the wind blew it snapped in and out as it was very sensitive...the antenna has been scrapped... oh well.... WVVA NBC is putting a transmitter repeating their Bluefield transmitter up on the WSWP PBS site Mann Mtn Fayette County) to serve the Beckley-Oak Hill area so that eventually will add a bit to the small pool.... Gone are the glory days of analog reception from Roanoke, Huntington, Weston here.... The "free HD tv" stuff does not fly well here in rural WV... thank goodness for Directv!