Internet Recording Software

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Scott Reppert

Internet Recording Software

Post by Scott Reppert »

I heard a clip this morning on MetroNews regarding today being the anniversary of the IBM Personal Computer from, I believe it was, 1981 or '82.

Anyway, the clip was obviously recorded off the internet in some form or fashion. If I had to do that here at work, I would simply play the clip into the H4 where it would be recorded as a 44.1 WAV file, open it with Audition and edit it as needed.

My question is: has anybody ever used any of the "internet recording software" that is out there? In other words, something that is in the computer recording what the computer is playing? The one that I was looking at was: Replay Media Catcher 4 from Applian. We use some Applian software on the TV side and I just wondered if any of y'all have used this or something similar or if you have a better way of doing things.

I await your responses with baited breath, since I just ate sushi...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Clay JD Walker

Re: Internet Recording Software

Post by Clay JD Walker »

Yep...I do it all the time, just without any software. The el cheapo sound card on the motherboard of my office machine does it. Roll audition and play YouTube clips, airchecks from out of state streamed stations or whatever.
I just have 'pc sound' or whatever you call it set as the PC's audio input. It all depends on the card, mind you. My mBox in the home studio doesn't do that...it only likes to play well with the crap I have plugged in the balanced inputs.
Firefox had a neat plugin at one point that allowed you to download the audio from flash, but it was quite clunky compared to my current way of stealing audio.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Does it download .wav files? Also, can anything come close to converting mp3 files to .wav files?
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

Avoid at any and all costs saving and MP3 to Wav. Garbage in = garbage out. Once the quality has been squashed by an mp3 or flash there ain't no coming back, unfortunately. Now when I produce I bounce my mix to an archival Wav (and export to automation in Wav at work) and at WM, Inc I send my clients a 320 mp3 (cause file sizes in email systems and typically slow Internet connection in WV for the FTP). Most of the time no one can hear the difference when the cuts have been processed, squashed, overmodulated or whatever on local FM. Remember, the bit rate of the mp3 really matters here...I can hear artifacting at 256 but not as bad at 320.

If you start compressed, upconverting does nothing more than take up more file space. You'll be best to find cleaner source material.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Variable bit rate (VBR) helps somewhat with the artifacting. But I don't know how many automation systems it's compatible with.

I imagine more stations are playing mp3s these days since most of the public has accepted how they sound and couldn't care less.

Even HD Radio's "CD quality" codec roughly translates to 192k mp3, from what I understand.

Otherwise, I agree it's a waste of time converting mp3s to wav or anything else. Because they are already compressed, it's best to just leave them as they are.