Googles Files FCC Request for "Experimental" Network

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

cgarison

Googles Files FCC Request for "Experimental" Network

Post by cgarison »

Google applies for a license to operate a wireless network in the range of 2524 to 2625 megahertz that would only provide coverage for devices built to access these frequencies on their Mountain View campus.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/01/23/ ... od=WSJBlog
According to the application, first spotted by wireless engineer Steven Crowley, Google said it would be using wireless frequencies that are controlled by Clearwire Corp., a wireless broadband provider. That means the frequencies are part of what’s called “licensed spectrum” and can be more reliable than Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is unlicensed, meaning it can be used by anyone.
WiMax?!?!? 8O

I sure hope Google can make WiMax work better than it does on the Sprint and Clear devices that I have or have had over the years because I lose the connection as soon as I walk into a building. The only reason WiMax works at my office outside of Valley Forge is that I have a repeater just a few hundred feet down the street. At the encampment on the other side of the National Park property the signal from that repeater and a few others located around the King of Prussia Mall are so weak that the interference from person WiFi devices overwhelms it.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.