$10 DIY HD Antenna

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

$10 DIY HD Antenna

Post by Lester »

Dave Loudin

Re: $10 DIY HD Antenna

Post by Dave Loudin »

Looks like a replica of the classic Radio Shack bowtie antenna. The elements are too small for the UHF band ending at channel 51. Search for M4 and mclapp to find a much better design.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
genlock

Post by genlock »

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mclapp/Ante ... ew%202.JPG

No one antenna is going to fit all applications.
This one has long range potential tho.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

This is the home page for that antenna design. Some size options to tweak VHF reception. There are complete plans for free, or you can buy parts for cheap.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

I'm 35 miles from WTAP in Parkersburg; I live on top of Friendly Hill, but somewhat in a shallow bowl. Even with expert help, there was no way to get any signals. However, neighbors 2 houses away can get OTA, and I sold a practically-new (and quite large) antenna to a man approximately 1/2 mile from me, but has much-better line of sight. He loves his reception, as he receives quite a few stations. I know this is a four-year old situation, but surely something can be done to defeat the DMA situation, as it takes away previous choices.

IIIRC, TV stations now run on much-less power, so the financial benefits for them are obvious. Would dramatically increasing power really help for the 15 percent or so still accessing OTA broadcasting, or should a network of translators on cell towers be utilized, or are most people okay with the status quo?

Should I put an antenna, whether store-bought or home-brewed on a a 60+ tower, or just stay happy with Dish with its five local offerings? I wish we were in a different DMA, so we could get options other than WVMH's.
Last edited by Greg Goodfellow on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Greg, you can see what signals are in the air at your location by using tvfool.com. The site also lets you play with antenna height to see if that helps.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

"Solid Signal has the Solid Signal Xtreme Signal HDB2X Blade 2 Bay VHF/UHF Outdoor HD Digital Antenna for a low $24.99 after Coupon Code: "TECHBARGINS" (Exp 8/18). Tax in most.

Solid Signal also it bundled w/ 50-Foot Coax Cable + J-Mount, for a low $49.99 after Coupon Code: "TECHBARGINS". $12.95 Shipping.

This antenna receives UHF digital broadcasts at 35+ miles and 15 Miles High Band VHF and has a low profile 32" W x 3.5" L x 16.5" H. Features High-gain blade style elements pull in maximum signal, and hold up better in weather than traditional bow-tie elements."