WSAZ New antenna, Lights

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

genlock

WSAZ New antenna, Lights

Post by genlock »

Ona, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A major structural upgrade to WSAZ’s broadcast tower will, once completed, improve the station's signal to thousands of NewsChannel 3 viewers.

A crew from ERI Electronics Research is installing a new digital antenna at the top of the 1,064-foot tower in Ona, WV.

The work will cause intermittent signal interruptions in June for viewers who receive NewsChannel 3 over the air.

“During the times the tower crew is working at the top of the tower, we have to switch to a backup antenna that’s several hundred feet lower than our main antenna,” said WSAZ Chief Engineer Aaron Withrow. “This is for the crew’s safety.”

The switch to the backup antenna diminishes WSAZ’s signal to one-third of its normal power, which may cause a signal interruption for viewers who receive the station on an over-the-air antenna. Cable and satellite customers are not affected by the work.

"We're excited about providing an even stronger signal to many of our viewers," said WSAZ Vice President and General Manager Matt Jaquint. "As we do the work, we are making sure we minimize the inconvenience to our over-the-air viewers while maintaining the safety of the crew.”

The upgrade to WSAZ’s tower includes the installation of a new LED lighting system, which will improve visibility of the tower to pilots flying in the area at night.

Withrow expects the upgrade to the broadcast tower to be complete by the end of June.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Greg Goodfellow

Re: WSAZ New antenna, Lights

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Dumb question, but this is how I roll...

Since most people receive signals via cable or satellite, with perhaps no more than 15% of viewers going OTA, is this something that other broadcasters would pursue? I was going to ask who would really benefit from this action, which is no doubt quite costly, but let's expand to all TV stations. I would certainly welcome a signal upgrade for folks in Tyler County that still use antennas. Our pastor lives two houses down from us, and can get OTA, but we got bupkis, which forced us to sell a virtually new antenna. For example, WTAP is perhaps no more than 35 air miles from where we live.

SInce people can access news programs on their phones, and more people are getting high-speed internet from Frontier and other suppliers, is this something that will pay for itself in a reasonable time period, capturing more eyeballs for news?

We once were part of that unfortunate flock that was relegated to dial-up. I realize a lot of folks still are. If this move will help these people, then great, and the station should be applauded for this costly upgrade.

Maybe they'll save a ton of money on the new lights?

Oops...more than one dumb question here. Oh, well...I always stunk at math.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
genlock

Re: WSAZ New antenna, Lights

Post by genlock »

Market protection in filling out their full omni contour.
Present antenna was sidemount and had a null to north.
Cable systems have to get the signal somehow.
FCC still mandates you to cover your area otherwise someone will do it for you.
I do not know if wsaz is going to move the CW station from wowk tower over to
the wsaz tower. A first move would be to get rid of the old channel 3 antenna
and move wsaz-dt to the top of the tower. An antenna could then be placed
below the top antenna and used for the CW. I have not looked for a CP.
I don't know how awkward the situation is with Bray Cary about the CW xmtr.
WSAZ has just completed an upgrade to their guy wire system with some harmonic
damper cables. Several months ago their guys started galloping in the wind.
For reference look at you tube or google "Tacoma Narrows bridge".
Nothing was wrong with the guy wires. The wind was just at the exact velocity and angle
to produce something called vortex shedding, an additive harmonic oscillation which can become
destructive.
LED lights are much more efficient. I am surprised the FAA has not mandated them.
The new antenna is shorter than the old channel 3 6 bay unit so the lighting and marking requirements
might have changed.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."