Phone company or companies

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Hoss

Phone company or companies

Post by Hoss »

If the phone company is smart enough to answer a call and tell me "I must First or Not dial a 1 before the number, then why are they not smart enough to just put the call through? Been frustrating with the new area code (681) and of course the burgeoning exchanges most I don't know where it exists much less if it needs a 1 first. Serious question if someone would take a shot at an answer.
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
cgarison

Re: Phone company or companies

Post by cgarison »

Here in the southeastern PA, the honest answer is that it depends..... I have to dial a 1 in front of the number when I make any type of call from the office phone or my phone at home, but my cell phone does not seem to care if there is a 1 in front of the number that I am dialing. And the cell phone experience covers the last 5 years of AT&Fee, the horrible period with Sprint, and my not quite as bad world of Verizon.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Why would cell be different. Doesn't the cell call first (after initial tower/s) go through the same central office as every call must? Also here in Putnam County with a Net10 cell phone I still have the problem of whether to dial I or not. Also they (cell phone system designers) were smart enough to design a system that will find my cell anywhere in the US, which makes me suspect that cell systems don't really care about the 1. All numbers are ten numbers no 1 is required. My big question is why can't the old way of dialing 1 before what used to be a long distance number just be eliminated? There are no long distance calls in the mainland USA. Who or whom would even address that question? The FCC is too busy setting us up for digital use fees all day all the time to even think about this problem!
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Considering that the time I am talking about not using a 1 to dial any number on a cell phone began after I moved to WinMo/Android/Apple devices. My old Motorola RAZR required the 1 to be dialed so this my be something that has been baked into the dialer software on our pocket computers and not something that has been done by our local telcos.

And if trying to get something done by the local telcos for the benefit of the people were to be of interest to the community, then (in the case of Verizon) they would find a way to destroy the twisted pair copper lines and replace the service with home phone service via femtocells in the homes. Although the FCC has become very unhappy with these moves by Big Red in the past 4 years.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.