Windows 10... Yep the unavoidable is nearly here...

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

cgarison

Windows 10... Yep the unavoidable is nearly here...

Post by cgarison »

While I continue on with my rants......

Actually Windows 10 does not have that kind of rant pinned up in me. I have been running the Technical Preview as a daily driver in almost all of my applications since last October and honestly, this OS has been very stable and quite reliable. In fact, Windows 10 has been as stable as one would have expected from what we promised to be the Windows 8.2 release last fall if that gives you a hint of the look of the first Tech Preview. Yes, bugs and lack of driver capability plagued some releases in Mach through the middle of June, but I learned a lot by finding work-arounds to issues (like my VPN not working.)

In all, Windows 10 will be a great OS for the SOHO market. On the commercial/industrial side of the coin, this software has a lot of issues that will haunt corporate IT. The bifurcated Modern UI/Desktop environment still persists as a carry over from Windows 8. The competing "system settings" Modern app and traditional "control panel" confuses the hell out of me especially when the "settings" application functionality only works 50% of the time (which might be a little higher success rate than I had with Windows 8.) The integrated Bing search is totally annoying to someone who is highly leveraged into the Google ecosystem. And Microsoft Edge/Project Spartan reminds me more of Dolphin Browser than a product designed to take on Chrome or Firefox. And that name, "Edge," puts in mind that I either need to go groom myself with my Gillette shaving kit or trade my car for a new Ford cute/ute crossover thingy, but at least with that name MS kept the "Warning! Danger!" flying E icon that meant you were about ready to allow malicious code wreck your system and turn your computer into a zombie spam machine. Finally, there is the bug issue with the final preview release before to RTM and preview build 10162 is chocked full of bugs - not as many bugs as in late March, but more bugs than we had with the final preview version of Windows 7. I have heard the bug issue has come about due to the use of the Agile software development methodology in Redmond, but regardless of the reason, this software will not be as polished as it could be. In fact, I would say Windows 10 will have the same level of build quality as Windows95 when it was released and we all know that it took Microsoft until summer of 1998 to fix the majority of issues with that OS.

If you want a more cheeky version of what I just said, check out the article on The Register. I disagree on "the HORRORS" part of the headline as this is not a bad piece of work from Redmond. Can it undue the damage of Sinofsky's touch OS experiment? Only time will tell.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/07 ... d_7_users/
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
cgarison

Re: Windows 10... Yep the unavoidable is nearly here...

Post by cgarison »

3 Days until the big release and Windows 10 is still not ready...

Full disclosure: While I have had phenomenal success with Windows 10 on my Core i7 4790K and on my MacBook Pro's virtual machine, I recently watched Windows 10 completely crash and burn on my Core 2 Quad Q6600 PC. In fact, the 8 year old PC has failed beyond any type of self recovery option available and a clean wipe will be necessary. With only 3 days until D-Day, I think I am going to wait for final iso file to be available for download so I the fresh install will hopefully be the most stable version available.

No, the review from The Register...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/27 ... ase_ready/
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Since we will be buying both a new on-air and production computer, I am wondering when Windows 10 will be able to handle SIMIAN. I guess we could downgrade to 7 as necessary.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

We've found an enterprise level glitch. Every once in awhile it loses its mind and will lock your domain account when you try to log in to a system you've previously locked. Ticket is opened with M$.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Don't think Simian will handle 10 yet. Better be safe and wait a year.

We've upgraded a number of desktops to 10--just had two with problems. One had a video driver that was not supported, the other says it is ready, but keeps telling me to wait for 10 "to become available."

One annoyance is that 10 hides the printer controls/status. Tried to print something off a website that was supposed to be 1 page--proved to be one hundred pages of the same thing. Finally found the printer controls to dump the print job.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

Tom Taggart wrote:Don't think Simian will handle 10 yet. Better be safe and wait a year.
I don't think I would be willing to move a system running Simian beyond Windows 7.
Tom Taggart wrote:We've upgraded a number of desktops to 10--just had two with problems. One had a video driver that was not supported, the other says it is ready, but keeps telling me to wait for 10 "to become available."
I don't think they have still fixed the video driver glitch from mid July tech preview system crashes for the regular Windows 10 RTM/Threshold Users. In fact, they have put me back on the the Insider Program on one of my PCs and distributed 2 new releases of which the one that came out late last week bombed on install. As far as attempts to get the software installed, our record in my family has been 4 tries before the successful install on my wife's StinkPad T430s. Even my MacBook running Parallels 9 upgraded to Windows 10 with little effort on my part despite being told that the combination would not work by Parallels. Yea, that was an oxy-moron statement because there was a bunch of us running the technical preview since last October Parallels 9. I guess they did not see our success or they need the extra $50.00/copy download money to pay their bills.
Tom Taggart wrote:One annoyance is that 10 hides the printer controls/status. Tried to print something off a website that was supposed to be 1 page--proved to be one hundred pages of the same thing. Finally found the printer controls to dump the print job.
I hate the new Control Panel/Settings screens. You never know if the control you need is in the settings screen or if it was left in the old Control Panel. To add insult to the matter, the new Windows system is totally broken when it comes to handling multiple monitor functionality so changing my PC to a single screen so I can run a dual screen Mac at my desktop usually requires the worst amount of system trickery that I have used since the days of Windows 95. In 2015, the controls for networking, printing, and displays should work better than the versions of windows that were released 20 years ago. (I think I have typed this comment to Microsoft at least 10 times over the last 8 months). And the part about the Control Panel/Settings issue that makes me mad is that it worked when the Tech Preview was released in October 2014. It was not until the end of January 2015 that Microsoft broke the functionality and never repaired the items that did not work. That is just sloppy development in my book.

But really, I am just preaching to the choir. :twisted:
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

You will have to work very hard next year to not accidently install Windows 10 as an "automatic update" from Microsoft.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... next-year/

Of course, this only applies to Windows 7 users because those who moved to that craptacular Windows 8 jumped to Windows 10 as soon as possible.