Looking for a good home for Collins V20

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

fmksey

Looking for a good home for Collins V20

Post by fmksey »

I have a beautiful Collins V20. late 40s vintage, that needs a new home.
It's the art deco box with rounded corners and large picture window in the front. Condition is about a B+. I would like to donation it to a museum or give it to someone who will give it some tlc. No parting out, please. I bought it from Armstrong who reconditioned it about 10 years ago. And I understand the only problems are in the feedback ladder. We only used it about 6 months - and replaced it with an Omni 1000a. Sure sounded great - that solid, warm feel! The box has a bit of history, too. It came from WYSL in Buffalo - a 1000w rock legend in the 60s who often beat up on 50,000w WKBW. Email if you have any ideas.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I believe you have a Collins 20V (If you have buttons for the plates and fillaments, you have a 20V-2). You're lucky, the 20V-3 lost the art-deco curves and is a big McMartin-lookin' rectangle.

You could donate it to the museum of radio and technology in Huntington, WV.

It's a 501 c3 non-profit organization and you may get a tax-break.

Museum of Radio and Technology
1640 Florence Ave
Huntington WV 25701

(304) 525-8890
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
contracteng

Post by contracteng »

First station I worked at in Lawrenceville, VA had a Collins 20V2.

The late WLMJ Jackson, OH had one but when I saw it, several years ago, it was rusting away in an old transmitter shack with the roof mainly gone and full of rodent nest in the transmitter.
t
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

contracteng wrote:The late WLMJ Jackson, OH had one but when I saw it, several years ago, it was rusting away in an old transmitter shack with the roof mainly gone and full of rodent nest in the transmitter.
It's still there in that dilapidated building. I drove by the old antenna site two weeks ago while on a road trip. The tower is a solid color of rust from top to bottom, one guy wire is blowing in the wind. I need to bring my digital camera on the next trip through. The first good winter storm we have ought to put that baby on the ground forever.

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:
contracteng wrote:The late WLMJ Jackson, OH had one but when I saw it, several years ago, it was rusting away in an old transmitter shack with the roof mainly gone and full of rodent nest in the transmitter.
It's still there in that dilapidated building. I drove by the old antenna site two weeks ago while on a road trip. The tower is a solid color of rust from top to bottom, one guy wire is blowing in the wind. I need to bring my digital camera on the next trip through. The first good winter storm we have ought to put that baby on the ground forever.

Go for it...you could make a companion to the Fybush calendar called the "abandoned transmitter site calendar".
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:

Like that website of the old Blues Brothers mall - what a place to film an apocalypse movie!! "Threads 2" here we come!
SHOCKLEY

Post by SHOCKLEY »

These folks seem to be true believers in the Collins 20v!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Collins20VTransmitters/