Greatest Female Rock And Roll Artist Ever

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Madonna
6%
Janis Joplin
24%
Ruth Brown
No votes
Joan Jett
18%
Connie Francis
6%
Dusty Springfield
12%
Gloria Estefan
No votes
Pat Benetar
12%
Patti Smith
No votes
Suzi Quatro
No votes
Laura Branigan
No votes
Whitney Houston
No votes
Mariah Carey
No votes
Donna Summer
No votes
Aretha Franklin
24%

Total votes: 17

Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Got asked this question by a friend of mine a couple of days ago and I thought I would post it here.

Use the Poll to vote, but what I (and my friend) would really like to see are your comments on the subject...especially if it's someone not on the list.

Only stipulations here are: (a). non-band member (that would eliminate the likes of Chrissie Hynde and Ann and Nancy Wilson...but not Joan Jett), (b). has to be non-Country or other genre, and (c). have a solid history behind their work (ah, let's say pre-1990 women only).

Let's see what yous have to say...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Britney Spears?????
No love for Brit anymore???!!!

I voted for Joan Jett. I think it took guts to sing "guy rock" with raw lyrics and heavy guitar riffs and all. Plus she is (or was) hot.

Tina Turner needs to be on your list.

I am also a fan of Timi Yuro from back in the day, as well as some of the early 60s girl groups, but that's probably outside the scope of your (most excellent) question.

:)
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

TOUGH choice. Joan Jett is awesome, Patti Smith I worship like a god, but I went with Janis because Ashley Simpson wasn't on the list....that or something about being a trailblazer or some such bullshit.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I can't believe The Pussycat Dolls and The Spice Girls aren't on that list!!!

:D

Joan Jett and Janis Joplin are a given, we need more chicks who rocked out like that.

Pat Benetar....meh....I could take or leave...

I'd also give the nod to the underrated L7.
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Wow! L7! Good call!! I remember seeing them on the late Friday night show "The Word" where they decided to pull down their pants and flash their furry front bottoms at the nation mid-song. 8O
Lee

Post by Lee »

Courtney Hole (as the mighty Beavis and Butt-head called her) had nothing on L7. They were heavier, dirtier, and dare I say..better looking than Courtney Hole.

How can you not like a band that throws a used tampon on a crowd or has a contest were the winner has sex with the drummer?
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Jeez...I forgot Tina Turner!!!

Secondly: you mean I can edit the posts all I want but I can't go back and edit the Poll itself to add her on?

Thirdly: if I had to start coming up with my list, it would probably be based on females that only had one or two hits (at most) and not a significant career.

And topping that list would be Nena...
Scott Reppert
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

No RockBitch?

(Can't have a poll on a radio messageboard without a shit load of "Where is _______________? How could you forget HER!" :-) )
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:Wow! L7! Good call!! I remember seeing them on the late Friday night show "The Word" where they decided to pull down their pants and flash their furry front bottoms at the nation mid-song. 8O
Doesn't look like a "they", just the lead singer. You're not doing on of those "I swear I saw it" things when you actually just heard about it, are you? :-)
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

If you break it down to most Billboard hits (#1 or otherwise), then it has to come down to Madonna, Mariah, or Whitney.

But, I'm voting for Joan Jett. She's tough, yet feminine enough to be hot.

8)
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

I had trouble giving consideration to at least half of the women on the list, as they didn't qualify in my mind as "rock" chicks. Madonna is the master of reinvention, but she's pop over rock every time.

My nod went to Janis Joplin. Cliched? Maybe. But I've always enjoyed her music.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Lester wrote:
SPIKE NESMITH! wrote:Wow! L7! Good call!! I remember seeing them on the late Friday night show "The Word" where they decided to pull down their pants and flash their furry front bottoms at the nation mid-song. 8O
Doesn't look like a "they", just the lead singer. You're not doing on of those "I swear I saw it" things when you actually just heard about it, are you? :-)
LOL! No, I never missed an edition of "The Word" - it was required watching for teens. This was probably 15 years ago or so, and I can barely remember what I did last night....

What I do remember - and this will haunt me for the rest of my days - is a segment of The Word called "The Hopefuls". The point of the segment was that they would have a viewer on who would "do anything to get on the telly".

WARNING
IF YOU'RE EATING, HAVE JUST EATEN OR HAVE A WEAK STOMACH, SKIP THE REST OF THIS POST

So the worst one I ever saw was a bloke who made himself puke into a pint glass... and then took a drink. There was a dude who licked a fat, sweaty woman's armpit and another one who had a slobbery frenchie with a grandmother who had just removed her teeth.

And you think American TV has low standards....
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Those all sound like contests I've had on my morning show.
Had a guy jump into a tub of rotten vegetables and dog shit as a conclusion to a truly stunning presentation involving raw eggs, worms, air horns and other weird stuff in "What would you do for $10,000" contest we did in Birmingham many moons ago.
And we did a "make out with the maintenance man" contest. He was gnarly old guy about 70. Chicks came in to French kiss him while we had his wife on the phone doing color commentary. Eeeeewwwww.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

I went with Janis. The category is rock and roll artist and Janis sure as hell rocked. Half the chicks on that list got no mojo. (Also, the Holding Company could kick some ass when they were upright.)
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Lester wrote:No RockBitch? (Can't have a poll on a radio messageboard without a shit load of "Where is _______________? How could you forget HER!" :-) )
Where the hell is Grace Slick? :)
Last edited by Dr. Whiplash on Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

I emailed my friend a link to this page and the poll and basically told 'em "see what you started"!

While talking we came up with a couple of omissions that we felt should be on the list that we hadn't even mentioned in our initial conversation:
Cher and Bonnie Raitt. And while just typing Bonnie Raitt I thought of Linda Ronstadt...
Scott Reppert
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:Where the hell is Grace Slick? :)
No group members, remember?

If we were going for group members give me some Maddy Prior or Annie Haslam...
Scott Reppert
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Scott Reppert wrote:...If we were going for group members give me some Maddy Prior or Annie Haslam...
OK, I'm stumped. Or just old.
Jet Black

Post by Jet Black »

Aretha was the most influencial. She was the first to belt it out blues-style on the rock charts. Also she was the best. Janis was great but she followed in Aretha's stylistic footsteps. Modonna was not so great but was mondo influencial, but her musical influence has faded IMHO while the soul-blues-gospel influence of Aretha is still a benchmark whether it be currently in fashion or not.
God Bless Us, Every One.
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Geeze...this is tough...as one of the resident females on the
board I must vote....probably Janis, Aretha & Joan Jett in that
order....Madonna...meh...I don't know what type of influence she
is unless you're a drag queen.