AP: We ignored Paris Hilton

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

NEW YORK (AP) -- So you may have heard: Paris Hilton was ticketed the other day for driving with a suspended license.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/0 ... index.html
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

[soapbox]
Good for the AP. Not to sound Hallburnish, but I am dead tired of celebrities making headlines on all the major nets. Does any one really care that this celebrity or that was caught shoplifting, driving while intoxicated, or pissing in the street? Seriously?
[/soapbox]
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

[soapbox]
Good for the AP. Not to sound Hallburnish, but I am tired of dead celebrities making headlines on all the major nets. Does any one really care that this celebrity or that was caught dying, dying while intoxicated, or dying in the street? Seriously?
[/soapbox]
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

fanofbigmedia wrote:[soapbox]
Good for the AP. Not to sound Hallburnish, but I am dead tired of celebrities making headlines on all the major nets. Does any one really care that this celebrity or that was caught shoplifting, driving while intoxicated, or pissing in the street? Seriously?
[/soapbox]
Yes.

Lester wrote:[soapbox]
Good for the AP. Not to sound Hallburnish, but I am tired of dead celebrities making headlines on all the major nets. Does any one really care that this celebrity or that was caught dying, dying while intoxicated, or dying in the street? Seriously?
[/soapbox]
Yes.
genlock

Post by genlock »

It is a human facination with rich, famous, beautiful people destroying themselves.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Bob Loblaw wrote:
fanofbigmedia wrote:[soapbox]
[/soapbox]
Yes.

Lester wrote:[soapbox]
[/soapbox]
Yes.
Come on?!?!?! Seriously?!?!?!

Come on!!!

I quoted the whole thing. I can't believe I quoted the whole thing. Where's the Tums? (Sorry, I couldn't spell Alkacelcer. I couldn't even get close enough for the spell check to suggest Alkacelcer.)
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

You know he's right. Remember when the number of people who said they weren't interested in the OJ trial didn't mesh with the number of people that were actually watching it?

Everyone claimed they weren't watch/weren't interested, but ratings told another story. I do think the LEVEL of coverage might be exceeding our titration level though. When a news headline about Anna basically says "Nothing happened with Anna today", you've over done it.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I see your point and you are exactly right. It is very much like when a major hurricane is off the coast of Florida. The Weather Channel is on in nearly every household, including Montana. We love disaster. Similarly, We seem to love other's misfortune--celebrity or not.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I took calls a couple of weeks ago on why it is that people are so interested in Anna Nicole and are you sick of hearing about it. The majority of callers said they didn't care and wish the story would go away, but then proceeded to go into the latest details on the case, all the while claiming they didn't watch or follow it.

Point well taken. No one admits to following Anna Nicole/Britney/OJ/Jon Benet'/etc but everywhere you go that is all that people are talking about. In other words there is a reason Jerry Springer is still on the air.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

People love celebrity gossip because it distracts them from their own lives.

And since everyone has problems, they identify with celebrities going through tough times.

While a part of me can't stand the Paris/Nicole/Lindsay/Hillary/Britney/Xtina dramas because I would never be cool enough to hang with them in real life, I'm still facinated by the lives they live.

8)
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

K-Rock wrote:While a part of me can't stand the Paris/Nicole/Lindsay/Hillary/Britney/Xtina dramas because I would never be cool enough to hang with them in real life
I think that's why I hate them. They represent every snotty bitch that's been "too good for me" I encountered in my teens and 20s, so their destruction, failure or hard times bring me nothing but happiness.