Uh-oh. Way to go, idiot.

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Rock

Uh-oh. Way to go, idiot.

Post by Rock »

America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Another idiot that seems to forget there is no "Must carry" clause in the First Amendment.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

Sounds to me like he is making fun of Sen. Biden. I'm tired of having to tiptoe around not knowing what is going to offend who, and when. The guy is doing the right thing in not apologizing. It's crap like this that is holding back racial harmony in this country. People are so confused about what they can and can't say, they choose to just say nothing at all. I had a long talk with a black friend of mine the other night, and she agrees that people need to stop being so sensitive, and quit going nuts every time somebody uses the wrong word.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I agree on the "not apologize" part. I don't agree on taking a "first amendment" stand as your reason.
Schaffer

Post by Schaffer »

I agree with you Lester. Too often these on-air nasty comment debates end with the first amendment being thrown around. This is another fine example.
darkpower

Post by darkpower »

Ok, so some schmuck gets canned for calling Obama a insensitive term, but Rush Limbaugh gets a free pass for calling Obama a "HALF-rican American" several times on his show?

Can someone please tell me if I'm the only one that's seeing something wrong with all of this.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Simple. Rush's boss backs him. Sam Alfred's doesn't.
weaver

Post by weaver »

Justin D. wrote:Ok, so some schmuck gets canned for calling Obama a insensitive term, but Rush Limbaugh gets a free pass for calling Obama a "HALF-rican American" several times on his show?

Can someone please tell me if I'm the only one that's seeing something wrong with all of this.
What's wrong with truth and accuracy? Obama's father was African. His mother was not. He's only half African, therefore.

It's wholly inaccurate to call your neighbor down the street an African-American if he, his parents, grandparents, etc., were born and raised in the U.S. They're Americans. Period.

I find all this unnecessary "hyphenating" divisive and disingenuous.
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

You ever notice every comedian that isnt white can make white jokes and call us crackers and everyone thinks its a hoot!!! But make a joke as a white man and watch out!!!!! I wish more people would say how they feel instead of being two faced. I thought it was funny and screw fuddy duds who dont have a sense of humor!!!
kriss kross will make ya jump, jump
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

RE: African-American, Native-American, Latino-American, etc, I reference the brilliant Dennis Miller

AMERICA IS A MELTING POT, FOR GOD'S SAKE...MELT!
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
genlock

Post by genlock »

Logan-American?
304live

Post by 304live »

so basically the guy was clowning the senator and other politicians that say things without thinking and he got suspended?

i guess he should have thought before he spoke.....
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

When it comes to racial comments there IS a double-standard....

As for Rush, the reason he gets away with things is that he is a ca$h machine.....
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Theresa Heinz-Kerry is African-American.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

There's nothing about "my station's owner can't fire me for making inflammatory comments on-air" in the First Amendment -- it refers strictly to the Legislative Branch of the federal government, not private companies:

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
Rock

Post by Rock »

Exactly, and in this day and age...there are some subjects to be considered 'off-limits'. Barring that, 'speak carefully'. While that most certainly DOES suck, it is the rule of the day. Speaking as one who's taken a shot or two for bringing certain topics up on the air, be careful. :wink:
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I once referred to Micheal Jackson as "Monkey boy"... because he owned lots of monkeys.

That didn't go over too well with one of our listeners.

When I asked her if, when she looked at MJ, she saw a black man, she laughed and I was off the hook. :-)

If Chris Lawrence's mind hasn't been too ravaged by caffeine abuse, he might remember when it happened.

Good times.
soccerguy

Post by soccerguy »

It's funny you mention that Lester.

When I was working at 95XXX in Burlington, VT, I made a comment on the air that was taken as racist by one of our listeners.

The state of Vermont was busy putting up moose-crossing signs along the roadways in the mountains. Well, I said, "Hey, I didn't know Oprah was in town." (this was back when she was fat)

A female listener called in to complain stating that a moose was "brown" and Oprah was "brown"...making it a racist comment. I asked her if she heard what I had actually said. She said no. She was working out at a gym and overheard someone repeating repeating my joke minutes after I mentioned it on the air.

She went to my PD, Ben Hamilton, the next day to complain. Thank goodness, Ben REQUIRES all talent to aircheck themselves EVERY SHIFT and keep a backlog of tapes for 30 days. Needless to say, Ben laughed it off, told me it was funny and told me to keep it for future airchecks.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Justin D. wrote:Rush Limbaugh gets a free pass for calling Obama a "HALF-rican American" several times on his show?

I don't think that's wrong - that's just funny. I got a chuckle at his reference to "Malcolm The Tenth", too.
304live

Post by 304live »

i'd probebly not like it if somebody made a comment like "halfrican american" about my daughter......

im not sure how i would react to be honost.... i'd probebly just be trying to figure out why they are trying to bring the race card out.... whats it matter if he's bi-racial or not

i'd definatly be on the defensive