Hot 99.5's "Bail Out Bobby" Promotion - A Fake?

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

soccerguy

Hot 99.5's "Bail Out Bobby" Promotion - A Fake?

Post by soccerguy »

From TMZ.com......

Bobby: Radio Station "Lied," Didn't Pay A Penny of Bail
Posted Mar 8th 2007 12:40PM by TMZ Staff
Filed under: Train Wrecks, Wacky and Weird

Bobby Brown says that getting sprung from jail was totally his -- and his friends' -- prerogative, and that the radio station that said it bailed him out is just flat-out lying.

On the nationally syndicated "Tom Joyner Morning Show," Bobby said the arrangement -- in which Brown had his $19,000 bail paid -- in exchange for a week of on-air appearances -- was a figment of Hot 99.5's imagination. "That didn't happen," he said on the phone from Los Angeles. "They didn't pay it. A bunch of my friends got together and got me out."

Brown's lawyer, Phaedra Parks, clarified a bit. She told Joyner that she had, in fact, spoken to Hot 99.5 about this deal, but that "they never paid a penny," and that Bobby's brother actually brought the money.

Today, Hot 99.5 posted an email between its program director and Parks, describing a deal in which Brown would be paid $27,638 to "work for" the station. The former New Edition star spent three nights behind bars last week in Masschusetts for failing to pay child support, and then hung up on station DJs ten minutes into their first on-air chat.

I bet Hot 99.5 is thanking their lucky stars that he never came to work for them.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

He's a fucking douchebag.

So is his lawyer.

Way too many fucking people worked way to fucking hard to make this happen...only to get lsapped in the face by Bobby Brown's bullshit attitude.

Fucking douchebags.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Maybe you can get that Kentucky guy to organize a Mall Walkers club for your next ...

Oh, forget it.

:oops: 8) :lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

can you sue somebody for being a douchebag? there's gotta be some sort of precedent...
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Dude, it was a radio station promotion with a no lose situation for the station. Either he shows up and you have a week's worth of morning show material or he doesn't show up and you have a week's worth of morning show material. From a morning show standpoint, it's almost better if he doesn't show.

Nobody actually expected him to be there did they?
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I don't think that's the issue... it's the "ALL A PRANK" statement by the douchebag and his peeps.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

um... can I have the $30 grand? Since you never paid it to Blobby Brown. Please? :wink:
genlock

Post by genlock »

I'll take some of that.
I will even embarass the station on the air.
Insult radio personalities and the Commonwealth.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Lester wrote:I don't think that's the issue... it's the "ALL A PRANK" statement by the douchebag and his peeps.
my point exactly... i know you can sue a douchebag for doing what he does best... but there needs to be some sort of pain inflicted. i work with some real influential Italians (if you know what i mean). want me to send antonio?
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Bob Campbell wrote:Dude, it was a radio station promotion with a no lose situation for the station.
I disagree....for it to be a "no-lose," Hot would have needed to have been in control of the message of it the whole time, but they had control taken by Bobby (and team) when he moved to a venue in which Hot would not be able to respond.

Not that they did anything wrong or that I fault them in any way. It's obvious Hot was acting in good faith (sure, with the promotional value in mind, but still in good faith), and I don't think they could've anticipated what has happened...although I bet everyone will now -- "Has-been celebs who probably think they have a comeback in 'em if they could just get some platform...screw 'em! Never!"
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Arp2 wrote: "Has-been celebs who probably think they have a comeback in 'em if they could just get some platform...
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Sigh.

I just wrote a really long, really angry post to all this.

All it did was make me angrier, and even more tired.

It amazes me how a guy who doesn't pay his child support can walk around acting like a saint.

Congrats Bobby. I hope whatever new-found publicity you get out the lies you and your lawyer spewed to Tom Joyner this morning, you can turn into something positive for yourself, your life, and your children.

Otherwise, I hope you're found in a dark alley with a needle in your arm, a broomstick up your ass, and your teeth kicked in.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

I think the whole promotion was pure genius.

I also think it is a no lose situation. Sure, Arp is right about the douchebag taking control of the message and moving to where you can't respond. But, it's still a no lose.

Even if it goes no further the extra cuming you have surely gotten is more valuable than the money and more impactful than any post game douchebaggery from that asshead's camp.

What is the next step? My automatic response would be to turn it into an all out pissing match. That thinking may change after I put some brain on it, but I'm not as good at this as you are.

It was pure genius.
lastone

Post by lastone »

(self edited to read:)

** ***** *** (I) paid child support for 15 years, his **** *** (he) can too! I don't care if he is a celeb!

all children should be dna tested at birth. no mor mommy's babby, daddy's maybe
http://www.thenewoldiesshow.com
WRSG Knights 91.5 Middlebourne-Sistersville, WV 5 PM Eastern Wednesdays (Repeats 7 AM Thursdays).
106.3 The Double Q, Farmington, Iowa, 10-11 AM Central time, Wednesdays.
Buckeye Broadcasting, Cambridge, Ohio, 10 AM Eastern time Friday and other days on Live 365.com
WBPS 101.9, Cambridge, Ohio
KZBZ 92.1, Williams, Arizona,
Sundays.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Nunley is right on the mark. It's nothing but free publicity for the station. The morning show needs to sink its teeth into this like a pitbull. Forbid Brown from entering DC at pain of an itchy death. Hang him in effigy. Sell paintball shots at his face. Burn his cds. Bang Whitney. It's a great opportunity.
It's always cool to have somebody talking about your station on another station. Hell, you should send him a thank you card. Like I said earlier, it's better that he backed out. You can milk this for weeks. He shows up, you get a week of lame ,"Bobby, get me a cup of coffe" jokes and a half dozen "This is Bobby Brown. When I'm smackin' Whitney around I'm listening to Hot 995". Now you have a TARGET! And isn't that what any morning show is always looking for?
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Nunley and Campbell are both correct. Either way it goes can be milked for weeks....

And the best thing is.... No one died drinking too much water...

:lol:
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
ccolarado

Post by ccolarado »

Nunley and Campbell validated by Hallburn.....we all could be so lucky!