WCHS control room, Butch McClung

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Jeff Miller

WCHS control room, Butch McClung

Post by Jeff Miller »

I just added two pictures of Butch McClung in the WCHS control room from I would guess the 1960s. You can click for larger views.

http://members.aol.com/jeff560/wchs2.html
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

I got to see Butch at the WCAW/WVAF reunion last year; first time I've seen him in many years. Also noticed your picture of Frank Annand. Met both of them back in the early 70's when I worked part-time at WTIP/WTIO. Those were the days when Charlie Coleman, Bud Burka, Mel Burka, and Mort Victorson all worked there.
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
Rock

Post by Rock »

Butch had a serious heart attack last year....Doc told him to quit smoking. He dutifully followed orders. For 3 weeks, methinks. As an aside, Butch is one of my true friends in the game, and oozes professionalism. Being a radio nerd, he also has many lovable quirks. The only man I know who can get you scared over a weather pattern developing over the Azores. :roll:

Still one of the best production talents you'll hear. Thanks, Jeff. :wink:
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Rock wrote:The only man I know who can get you scared over a weather pattern developing over the Azores. :roll:
Or those damned scattered showers over Seattle...

:lol:
Rock

Post by Rock »

No doubt. An hour's newscast, with 45 minutes of friggin' weather crammed in. :mrgreen:
- Claire Wolfe
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Interesting stuff... Also, the KFMB connection. A station I grew up listening to out of San Diego.. Still going strong at 760 AM
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
David Paleg

Post by David Paleg »

Happy birthday today to Butch McClung.

"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
Rock

Post by Rock »

Some sad news to pass along....Butch's Mom passed away this morning. For those that didn't know, she had advanced Alzheimers. Butch was totally devoted to her. I'll pass along any other pertinent info.
- Claire Wolfe
Rock

Post by Rock »

As per the Register-Herald this morning, visitation is from 6 to 8 Sunday, at Wallace & Wallace FH in Ansted. Service Monday. I know Butch would sure appreciate it if some of his friends could make an appearance.
- Claire Wolfe
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

I will be there.
Mr. Smith

Post by Mr. Smith »

Very sad, will say a prayer and I'm not the praying type.
Rock

Post by Rock »

Butch was holding up quite well. It was good to see the old boy again.
- Claire Wolfe
radiofan

Post by radiofan »

Rock wrote:Butch was holding up quite well. It was good to see the old boy again.
Ditto. Butch is good guy for sure.
Rock

Post by Rock »

Yeah, and it was great to meet Radiofan and the mighty K-Rock. (If I'd known they lived so close to my stomping grounds, I would've hit em up for beer, like I do Nunley.) :D Unfortunately, my back gave out after the trip back home.....friggin' middle age. :x

- Claire Wolfe
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Anytime, Rock...

Like your smiley sig.

:lol:
ralphallen

Re: WCHS control room, Butch McClung

Post by ralphallen »

Butch is a top drawer talent for sure. So sorry to hear of the passing of his mother and his health issues. I didn't make the WCAW WVAF reunion last time. I would have loved to see Butch again. Butch has had a great ride for sure in radio. Thoughts, prayers with Butch. Rock on! Ralph "Allen" Allenbaugh.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Damn. Feel for it again. I thought this was a new thread and was nearly ready to welcome back some of our original cast members (until I saw that Putnam Live banner, then I realized it was an old yarn). Man, what the hell happened to everyone? Where did everyone go? It's like a damn ghost town around here. :cry:
Rock

Post by Rock »

Big Media wrote:Damn. Feel for it again. I thought this was a new thread and was nearly ready to welcome back some of our original cast members (until I saw that Putnam Live banner, then I realized it was an old yarn). Man, what the hell happened to everyone? Where did everyone go? It's like a damn ghost town around here. :cry:

Everyone got laid off, or are in charge of un-f***king 4 + stations. Look for new members with names like Storq, Smartcaster, Maestro, et al. :P
- Claire Wolfe
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Big Media wrote: Man, what the hell happened to everyone? Where did everyone go? It's like a damn ghost town around here. :cry:

I've been toying with the idea of writing another one of my excessively long and horribly inarticulate missives about radio.

Perhaps you just put me over the top on that decision.

I haven't felt the hate of my industry betters in a long time nor have I provided industry douchebags with a way to get their ego on the message board without being obvious, even though it is obvious anyway because they are not smart enough to find language that hides they are just giving themselves and ego lap around the track. I should provide that service once in awhile. I mean, what else does management have to pissed about? Where else can radio assheads work in how great they are doing while pretending to comment on the topic?

Now that I think about it, we haven't had the opportunity to read about how everyone in the world is sick of the same 500 classic rock songs, how well a new rock station would do in Charleston or Huntington, how stations would do better if they would play the music the commenter likes best or other extrapolations and anecdotal proof, how poorly stations are programmed and promoted, or how everything sounds "overly lossy" in a long time.

Holy hell. I just realized that my contemplation of writing one of my excessively long and horribly inarticulate missives about radio has become one of my excessively long and horribly inarticulate missives about radio message boards.

Eh, fuck it. I'm going to write it anyway. Coming soon.
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

It's very easy now to listen to music that fits your specific area of interest. I love my "Panic Switch" channel on Pandora. Would it be commercial viable? Unlikely. But I enjoy it, and when I get burned out in that I can pick from an incredible volume of music on Spotify. If there's a specific niche I want to hear, I can choose from a massive selection on iHeartRadio. Or listen to Jack 2 in Oxfordshire online from England, or my old favorite from Nashville, Lightning 100.

In the mood for talk? There are an endless supply of podcasts on a wide variety of very narrow topics, from larger operations like PodcastOne to people recording their own programs from home. Most traditional-style radio shows have archives available via a website or at the very least are available live streaming online.

In short, there are a ton of options. People don't have to opine about there not being a station in the market that meets their specific wish with so many other options available. And even if you're in an area that is ridiculously underserved with internet access, you have SiriusXM satellite radio as a possibility.

This is not to say that FM radio is not viable -- there are still some great stations on the air, both locally and across the country. But the tight playlists that allow stations to appeal to as wide of a reach as possible within a given target demo are less likely to inspire message board rants because of the sheer volume of options that are out there now, as least in my estimation.
On Twitter: @LouPickney