Medical care?

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

genlock

Medical care?

Post by genlock »

It's almost too awful to imagine: being awake but paralyzed during surgery.

And although it's rare, studies say it could happen up to 40-thousand times a year. It's just such an experience that two Raleigh County women say caused their father to commit suicide.

Sherman Sizemore, a former coal miner and Baptist minister, killed himself in February 2006, two weeks after undergoing abdominal surgery. A lawsuit filed last month in Raleigh County alleges he was awake for nearly 30 minutes of his surgery. The women say this experience left their father so upset he took his own life.
Rock

Post by Rock »

Boy, Ol' Sherman sure could go on for a couple hours. I always dreaded revival week when he was the guest Pastor. Sorry to hear about him; not sure if I buy this story, tho.
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I awoke during eye surgery when I was very young (about 4 years old). I still remember the doctors telling me to blow up the balloon. I took a deep breath and began to feellllll vvvvveeerrrryyyy sleezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

I've never researched it, but as proceed through life, and hear stories... you start to notice patterns...

Like the number of people that undergo abdominal/gastrointestinal surgeries that end up killing themselves.

I don't buy the "woke up" story either... but this isn't the first time I've seen or heard of such surgery leading to suicide.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »