The end is near.

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

genlock

The end is near.

Post by genlock »

From Drudge:
NBC/MSNBC RECONSIDERING STATUS OF IMUS SHOW... 'WE ARE ON THE VERGE OF DROPPING THE SHOW,' TOP EXECUTIVE SAYS FROM NY... DEVELOPING..
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

no f*cking way....... they can't be serious. i tell you what, this proves one thing. station management could really give a shit about public opinion and public outcry over "dumbass in studio 3" opening his mouth.... hence the 2 week suspension.

BUT, you get advertisers like P&G and Staples pulling their ad dollars, you've got their attention. this is where management should CONTINUE to support their talent. like dude said the other day on Imus' show. you gotta look at the man as a whole, his career as a whole. it's not like he said the b-ball team was bread to be nappy headed ho's. jimmy the greek deserved what he got. let's not lump this into the same stew... honestly i never knew til this week that "nappy head" was a racial slur. i've used that term many times talking about my own hair, or a friends hair or a nasty ass woman i found in my bed on a saturday morning's hair.....

ya know thinkin' back now... i'm surprised Shawn and i never got fired for screaming "whoody whooooo" on the air as many times as we did... lol i kinda miss those times now. it doesn't seem as fun anymore. don't know if it's the market, the company or that i'm in management now... :?
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Msnbc has cancelled the Imus show.
News from FOX news.
genlock

Post by genlock »

From Drudge:

MSNBC DROPS IMUS INDEFINITELY: Effective immediately, MSNBC will no longer simulcast the "Imus in the Morning" radio program.... Once again, we apologize to the women of the Rutgers basketball team and to our viewers. We deeply regret the pain this incident has caused -- NBCNEWS Pres
Imus Investigated By FCC...
IMUS's top advertiser, mortgage lender DITECH, and second-largest, SPRINT NEXTEL, joined GM and AMERICAN EXPRESS in announcing plans to pull their ads from his program...
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

no f*cking way....... they can't be serious. i tell you what, this proves one thing. station management could really give a shit about public opinion and public outcry over "dumbass in studio 3" opening his mouth.... hence the 2 week suspension.

BUT, you get advertisers like P&G and Staples pulling their ad dollars, [edit]
genlock wrote:From Drudge:
IMUS's top advertiser, mortgage lender DITECH, and second-largest, SPRINT NEXTEL, joined GM and AMERICAN EXPRESS in announcing plans to pull their ads from his program...
[/edit]
you've got their attention. this is where management should CONTINUE to support their talent. like dude said the other day on Imus' show. you gotta look at the man as a whole, his career as a whole. it's not like he said the b-ball team was bread to be nappy headed ho's. jimmy the greek deserved what he got. let's not lump this into the same stew... honestly i never knew til this week that "nappy head" was a racial slur. i've used that term many times talking about my own hair, or a friends hair or a nasty ass woman i found in my bed on a saturday morning's hair.....

ya know thinkin' back now... i'm surprised Shawn and i never got fired for screaming "whoody whooooo" on the air as many times as we did... lol i kinda miss those times now. it doesn't seem as fun anymore. don't know if it's the market, the company or that i'm in management now... :?
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

genlock wrote:From Drudge:

MSNBC DROPS IMUS INDEFINITELY: Effective immediately, MSNBC will no longer simulcast the "Imus in the Morning" radio program.... Once again, we apologize to the women of the Rutgers basketball team and to our viewers. We deeply regret the pain this incident has caused -- NBCNEWS Pres
Imus Investigated By FCC...
It's fully the sponsors' rights to do so, but this is a severe over-reaction.

Not only that, but now that air talent can no longer rely on backing by their employers, why would anyone want to go into this kind of radio?
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

But how much does MSNBC really need Imus anymore? I haven't really paid attention but does he pull good numbers for them? I'm sure its cheaper than producing a morning show like the other networks do but still.It was cool in the beginning but I stopped watching him years ago.

AND where is the outcry for what the other guys said? I thought they should have to account for what they said just as much as Imus.

My opinion on the whole thing is that it was disrespectful more than anything else. These are student athletes. All they did was play a game they love and play to the highest level of competition. They should be able to enjoy this time...beating Duke, getting to the Finals....not picked on for the way they look.
Thats what pisses me off.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Next up to bat:
CBS Radio.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

herdgirl72 wrote:But how much does MSNBC really need Imus anymore? I haven't really paid attention but does he pull good numbers for them? I'm sure its cheaper than producing a morning show like the other networks do but still.It was cool in the beginning but I stopped watching him years ago.
Tis a good question. And heres the answer.
Is Don Imus worth the fury? Lost in all the media attention focused on the “nappy-headed ho'sâ€
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

herdgirl72 wrote:But how much does MSNBC really need Imus anymore? I haven't really paid attention but does he pull good numbers for them?
I believe his numbers are better than anything MSNBC has had in the morning.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

herdgirl72 wrote:But how much does MSNBC really need Imus anymore? I haven't really paid attention but does he pull good numbers for them? I'm sure its cheaper than producing a morning show like the other networks do but still.It was cool in the beginning but I stopped watching him years ago.

Imus probably needs MSNBC more than they need him. He averages about 300,000 viewers a week. Not very high, but still a decent niche in an overcrowded morning show market.
My opinion on the whole thing is that it was disrespectful more than anything else. These are student athletes. All they did was play a game they love and play to the highest level of competition. They should be able to enjoy this time...beating Duke, getting to the Finals....not picked on for the way they look.
I agree.

Nobody is defending the stupidity of his comments... I'm just defending his right to say stupid things. His numerous apologies and public humiliation should be sufficient.

I've heard far, far worse...
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

mods can we combine the 2 imus threads now?

please? :)
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

Zak Tyler wrote:mods can we combine the 2 imus threads now?

please? :)
I would if I could figure out how to do it.

All I can to is put this in a lockbox.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Merging threads isn't an option. (Harder than it seems, apparently.)
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

Lester wrote:Merging threads isn't an option. (Harder than it seems, apparently.)
Probably even harder than merging a friendly relationship between Imus and Rutgers. :D
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~Henry David Thoreau
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

herdgirl72 wrote:My opinion on the whole thing is that it was disrespectful more than anything else. These are student athletes. All they did was play a game they love and play to the highest level of competition. They should be able to enjoy this time...beating Duke, getting to the Finals....not picked on for the way they look.
But, and I've said this before on here, such is the price of fame. They put themselves into the position where they're playing a sport at the national level on national TV. If it's anonymity they wanted, they could always be playing the game they love on a dusty court in their neighbourhood or in the back yard. If you want people to look at you and you actively seek that attention, you're putting yourself in the firing line. If you don't like it, go work at WalMart and play on your own time.

Was what Imus said disrespectful? Maybe. Was it wrong? Maybe. That's personal opinion - but I can't pity a bunch of girls who are consciously putting themselves in the public eye when someone says something uncomplimentary about them. If I bitched and moaned and cried foul anytime someone called me a name because of things I said on the radio, I'd have no time to sleep, but I certainly don't cry like a baby because someone doesn't like me/my accent/my hair/my clothes/the fact that they mistakenly think I took their job.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

a gay black women has it made in this country today
realist not racist
FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS DEAD
LETS BRING IT BACK TO LIFE

Black comedians do a whole set of stand up about how cracker whitey walks, talks, eats, dresses and lives funny!!! Everyone gets a laugh!!!
A white guy makes a joke and we take his job away from him
TOTAL BS

You dont have to agree, you have the right to be wrong
kriss kross will make ya jump, jump
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

herdgirl72 wrote:But how much does MSNBC really need Imus anymore? I haven't really paid attention but does he pull good numbers for them? I'm sure its cheaper than producing a morning show like the other networks do but still.
Imus cost MSNBC $4,000,000 and resulted in $8,400,000 in ad sales. That's a 110% ROI produced on a channel with virtually no viewers...not bad, at all.

Imus' WFAN ROI is only about 35%, by the way.

Well........hang on a sec. It depends on how the reports are being reported. MSNBC paid the money to CBS, but I don't know if that $4 million is included in what CBS pays him or not. If it is, CBS' ROI is about 60%.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

AARON SCOTT wrote:you have the right to be wrong
rosanne said the same thing this am... we can't be wrong anymore and apologize for it...

that's a GREAT way to put it aaron.

www.theright2bwrong.com maybe we could start our own movement???
Last edited by Zak Tyler on Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Hey, I'm offended by braindead TV shows. How do I get them off the air? I wish someone would have told me we could get shows we don't like off TV instead of finding out through Don Imus' lynching.