Stream recorder?

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Stream recorder?

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Can any of you recommend a free audio stream recorder?

Trying to record a long show on another station and I'm not having much luck with the couple of recorders I've found.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

http://www.supermp3recorder.com/

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry...I just noticed you said "free."

Well, free on P2P, I suppose....and the older versions are absolutely fine......
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Yeah...I don't do P2P.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Bob Loblaw wrote:Yeah...I don't do P2P.
*snicker*
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Bob Loblaw wrote:Yeah...I don't do P2P.
...and, uh, neither does my friend....the one who secretly works for the somewhat secret company that is secretly finding those who do.....even though he could just remove his fixed IP address from the list should their secret thingamabobs secretly catch him......

Actually, I do extremely little of it, myself.....where I have used it to some extent is to try to find things labels have let go out of print....hey, if I could go out and get it, I would, but......

But, anyway, Super MP3 Recorder will, I believe, do anything and everything you want.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

If the stream is MP3 and you can run it through winamp, the plug-in StreamRipper does a great job - it also gives you the option to dump (tee-hee) to a single mp3 file or individual files by the ID3 tags.

http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Grrr. Supermp3ripper isn't doing what I want it to do. Maybe because I'm playing back through WMP?
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Which one?

If it's Super MP3 Recorder, check the settings in the "Volume Control." I select "Stereo Mixer" only....with that, you're always recording whatever you're hearing.

Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

v3.0 (demo)

Not seeing any levels
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hmmmm....and your sound card is selected and input is checked and potted up?

(Mine is v5, and my selected input is "stereo mixer.")

It seems I recall having to go to "sounds and audio devices properties" (Windows control) and having to make a change in "Sound Recording / Volume," but, now that I'm trying to check that out, Windows is telling me "Windows cannot execute SndVol32.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel to install." I hate my computer more every day, but, regardless, I think I remember having to change that record device from whatever it was to "Wave Output" or something.

Edit: found "SNDVOL32.EX_" in the "i386" folder, copied it to System32, renamed it ".exe," tried to run it from the control panel, it opened a DOS window and ran but did nothing, erased it, did the same thing in System, and it worked.

Here are my settings on it:

Recording -- level where "0" would be
Stereo Mixer -- selected with level very low

Then, on the Super MP3 Recorder, same input -- Stereo Mixer -- selected with pot all the way up.

There was some reason I did the levels that way, but I don't remember what it was. Set levels while recording something....it doesn't want the levels going very high, at all.