Going postal goes up to new rates

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

David Paleg

Going postal goes up to new rates

Post by David Paleg »

For the few people still using snail mail (postal services) for communicating, here is a reminder that US Postal Service rates go up Monday, May 14. New rates can be found on the web at http://www.usps.com/prices/ .

The regular first class rate goes up to 41 cents for the first ounce and 17 cents for each additional ounce. Also, the USPS is introducing Forever Stamps. You can buy them at 41 cents each, but they will not have a price shown on them. Then, if the rates ever go up again (what is the chance of that happening?), they will be accepted for the newer rate if you have any of them left over.
"Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

The postal service....perhaps the only organization in existence that raises its prices because its demand is falling.....

But, if you think about it, it's still a heck of a deal....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

Try sending bills out by e-mails. Want to guess how much you'll collect?

The postage increase is also on "odd-shaped" letters. Big envelopes cost more, as do thick envelopes
genlock

Post by genlock »

Ammo prices increase, Postal rates increase.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Arp2 wrote:The postal service....perhaps the only organization in existence that raises its prices because its demand is falling.....
:lol:

Never thought about it like that...

The only thing I ever mail anymore is my cell phone bill. It would be so simple to do direct deductions but I'm too lazy to check the box.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

When the last stamp rate hike came around, I quit sending checks out for bills and started using the credit union's free bill-pay service. Now the only things I mail are greeting cards, and that's about it.
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

only stuff i mail anymore is stuff i sell on ebay...
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

My news guy wrote a story this morning about a national radio news organization that (i'm hoping inadvertantly) said "the old 39 cent stamps should be thrown out in favor of the new 41 cent stamp" i guess whoever wrote the story for broadcast (had a brainfart) didn't realize the post office sells 2 cent stamps to cover the difference.......

Looks like Mark has found a job in broadcasting after all.... :)
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Zak Tyler wrote:My news guy wrote a story this morning about a national radio news organization that (i'm hoping inadvertantly) said "the old 39 cent stamps should be thrown out in favor of the new 41 cent stamp" i guess whoever wrote the story for broadcast (had a brainfart) didn't realize the post office sells 2 cent stamps to cover the difference.......

Which one?
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

genlock wrote:
Zak Tyler wrote:My news guy wrote a story this morning about a national radio news organization that (i'm hoping inadvertantly) said "the old 39 cent stamps should be thrown out in favor of the new 41 cent stamp" i guess whoever wrote the story for broadcast (had a brainfart) didn't realize the post office sells 2 cent stamps to cover the difference.......

Which one?
i haven't been able to confirm it, that's why i didn't put it in the original post. but "newsman" says it was Fox News Radio.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Hey - what does it mean when the flag at the post office is flying half mast...?

...they're hiring!
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Zak Tyler wrote:....the post office sells 2 cent stamps to cover the difference.......
Mailing a letter is still the best value for any government service. I don't bother with the 2 cent stamps. I mail stuff so infrequently, I just double up on the fist class stamps. I still have 37 cent stamps I am trying to get rid of. Before long, I will start using three on each letter. :twisted: